Cakewalk Forums General vs Q&A confusion

slartabartfast

Two forums are allotted to Cakewalk with the following intended posting guidelines. While it seems to me that there is an intent to make the  Q&A forum a place to ask questions, if not to serve as a user to  user help resource, it is not at all clear from reading posts in these forums that everyone has that understanding.  Many of the posts in the General forum are questions, and in fact there are many technical questions, problem issues, or apparent bugs with requests for help etc. Unfortunately the posting guidelines for the General forum permitting "all things related" to Cakewalk would seem to subsume everything that is covered by the guidelines for Q&A. If there is a purpose to splitting these forums, I think it is not fully served in practice. Perhaps a more explicit guidance for the General forum would help alleviate this, but given that these are internet forums it is doubtful that everyone reads those in any case. If moderators start moving posts around, that might serve as an education for regular posters, but will undoubtedly result in rancor from those whose posts are moved or those following them. 

Cakewalk by BandLab: General
Discussion focused on all things related to Cakewalk by BandLab software, the DAW formerly known as SONAR Platinum.

Cakewalk by BandLab: Q&A
This is a Q&A forum, dedicated to asking questions and getting answers, rather than traditional topic-and-post discussions.

Q&A Tips
This is the place to ask questions about operating Cakewalk, requesting solutions to specific problems, etc. The clearer the question, the better able the community will be to provide a solution!

Questions
Please present your question as clearly as you can, providing relevant details that can help the community provide the best answer. It is also helpful to the community if you use tags to describe your question. Each question can have up to 5 tags, since a question might be related to several subjects.

Answers
Please make answers helpful, to the point and civil. If a question requires more detail, please request more detail from the OP. The best answer for a given question is indicated with a green checkbox. Questions can be voted up or down by users, in order to give them more visibility.

We want this forum to be as constructive as possible, and your contributions are greatly appreciated!

• Like 1

I have no idea which is the right forum to use. I don't think many others do either. 

I get that the Q and A is meant to ask questions but so is this forum.  Personally I don't see a need for the q & a forum.  If it were a frequently ask questions forum that was a look up sort of thing where no input was available then I could see a use for that.  The mods could add good questions that have been well answered from this forum.  

However mine is to go along with however it is meant to be. 

Yes, this will continue to be a head-scratcher.  I've read the stated purposes and still wouldn't know where to place a question or issue.  And I can't help but think that traffic around this forum is stifled because of it - I know that I no longer find much pleasure in just browsing the mix and non-sensical layout of discussions.

Before, I could at least know that when I was in the hardware portion, we'd be discussing various hardware discussion and issues and in the software forum, etc., etc.

Sorry, but without further logical separation of topics it will always be confusing-er.  :) 

Mostly I skim topics here, but sometimes I remember there's that other subforum and check to see if there's anything I can answer. I've asked one question, which was on the topic of the best laptop to buy for running Cakewalk, and it got no answers whatsoever.

I figure if a fat target like that gets no answers, Q&A is probably doomed.

This forum is still new, so I figure the people in charge of running it will sort it out into logical subforums as they develop.

I think a good split would be for people having Issues, like installation, hangs, glitches, problems getting a controller or interface to work, stuff like that, and then a different sub for discussing Using the Program. Like how do I use the Matrix or whatever, or here's a slick way of doing something that I came up with.

Yeah,  I think the various subforum breakdowns in the old forum was a bit more useful and intuitive.

Another example is the deals subforum here. (First off, thank you Meng and Co for adding it back.)  We used to have a software subforum.   People have asked for it here but it hasn't happened.   In the meanwhile, the deals subforum has essentially become the deals and software forum.   So you see posts on "Software X on Sale for $50" (deals) along with "Software Y updated to version 6.0" (software). 

For me,  given that I was never interested the software subforum, these additions have made the new deals forum a more cluttered browsing experience.  However, clearly folks appreciated the old software subforum so there is a need for it somewhere.

Anyway, just my 2 cents.

Edited by urock