Audio dropouts making Cakewalk unusable.

kevmsmith81

Is anyone else getting this problem with the last update?  It's error code 4

Audio dropouts are getting to the point where I cannot use this DAW anymore.  Just to try the least demanding thing I could think of, I tried doing a single vocal take over a karaoke  backing track, and I'm still getting it.

I've tried switching from my interface's custom drivers to Asio4all, and it still happens.

For reference, I can have exactly the same things open in Reaper, with the same plugins using the same driver settings and I do not get dropouts in that - so I'm confident it's not my computer that's the issue, but Cakewalk.

I prefer to use Cakewalk, as I'm more confident in my way around it, but if this doesn't stop I will need to start learning Reaper properly!

EDIT:  Just for reference, my machine is a laptop running Windows 10 with a Ryzen 5 2500U CPU and 16GB RAM, so it's a fairly decent system.  It has a mechanical HDD rather than a SSD, but even so Cakewalk was fine before the last couple of updates.

Edited by kevmsmith81

1 hour ago, kevmsmith81 said:

Is anyone else getting this problem with the last update?  It's error code 4

Audio dropouts are getting to the point where I cannot use this DAW anymore.  Just to try the least demanding thing I could think of, I tried doing a single vocal take over a karaoke  backing track, and I'm still getting it.

I've tried switching from my interface's custom drivers to Asio4all, and it still happens.

For reference, I can have exactly the same things open in Reaper, with the same plugins using the same driver settings and I do not get dropouts in that - so I'm confident it's not my computer that's the issue, but Cakewalk.

I prefer to use Cakewalk, as I'm more confident in my way around it, but if this doesn't stop I will need to start learning Reaper properly!

EDIT:  Just for reference, my machine is a laptop running Windows 10 with a Ryzen 5 2500U CPU and 16GB RAM, so it's a fairly decent system.  It has a mechanical HDD rather than a SSD, but even so Cakewalk was fine before the last couple of updates.

Same here. I can't even try the free Full Bucket plugs like the "Tricent mk III" because I get an instant dropout (using Wasapi shared mode and Win 10).

In REAPER is all working perfectly fine. I like the Cakewalk layout much more but I am guessing that it needs a serious rewrite of the code.

4 minutes ago, Feral State Sound said:

Same here. I can't even try the free Full Bucket plugs like the "Tricent mk III" because I get an instant dropout (using Wasapi shared mode and Win 10).

In REAPER is all working perfectly fine. I like the Cakewalk layout much more but I am guessing that it needs a serious rewrite of the code.

Glad it's not just me.  As I said, I'm confident it's not my computer, as Cakewalk was working fine on this machine, and another one with a considerably weaker CPU, until recent updates.  Kinda sucks, as I know my way around it and  there's some old third party Plugins that I like, which will only work with Cakewalk due to authorisation.

But, at this point if I can't even track a vocal track over a karaoke backing track (one of the least demanding recording tasks given only two tracks in the DAW are being used), then I'm going to have to quit with Cakewalk and get to know Reaper instead.

13 minutes ago, pwalpwal said:

(op already " tried switching from my interface's custom drivers to Asio4all, and it still happens.")

is there a dropout code? devs can use that

Yes - number 4, as per OP.  The guide states this is a buffering issue, but I can have the exact same tracks in another DAW (Reaper, or Mixbus 32c - take your pick), with the same plugins and not get dropouts in either of those.

WDM/MME/WASAPI output buffer not available for delivery to audio device.

Increase the Buffers in Playback Queue value in Edit > Preferences > Audio - Driver Settings.

As per:

https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=4&help=AudioPerformance.24.html

Edited by kevmsmith81
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, pwalpwal said:

are you running the latest universal control drivers? https://www.presonus.com/products/AudioBox-USB-96/downloads

did you update that recently? can you try a previous version?

I will have to check - I believe it is set to update automatically, but I will look into that.  And, yes it is ASIO drivers!

Edited by kevmsmith81

1 minute ago, lapasoa said:

Consider that Presonus Audiobox 96 is a very cheap audio interface.

In any case you have to download the Asio factory driver for Windows.

After the download, adjust the buffer.

It may not be a massively expensive interface, but it was working fine until the most recent Cakewalk updates.  And, as stated I don't get these issues in the other DAWs I've tried on the same computer, which suggests that the issue lies with Cakewalk and not the interface.

37 minutes ago, kevmsmith81 said:

It may not be a massively expensive interface, but it was working fine until the most recent Cakewalk updates.  And, as stated I don't get these issues in the other DAWs I've tried on the same computer, which suggests that the issue lies with Cakewalk and not the interface.

Don't worry, it seems that Cakewalk never has a problem here. All the DAW working perfect with the same VST, interface and settings, but Cakewalk has no problems 🙄

• Haha 2

When you use and its ASIO driver mode in Cakewalk, and the Universal Control ASIO drivers, can you please list:

1) Project Sampling Rate

2) ASIO Buffer Size (check it by going to Edit > Preferences > Audio > Driver Settings, in the Mixing Latency section - it should show 'number of samples' or something like that - might be 32 samples, 64 samples, 128 samples, etc... up to possibly 2048)

3) If you are trying to track/record, you should avoid having certain types of effects, such as convolution reverb or Linear Phase types, because they need huge ASIO buffer sizes in order to work properly.  You also, when recording, should keep your ASIO Buffer Size set at maybe 128 samples or a bit less, so that things sync properly.  When mixing, go ahead and throw in a convolution reverb, or a linear-phase EQ, etc., but now you should alter your ASIO Buffer Size up to either 1024 or even 2048.  SO - please list the plugins loaded into this particular project.

4 minutes ago, Robert Bone said:

When you use and its ASIO driver mode in Cakewalk, and the Universal Control ASIO drivers, can you please list:

1) Project Sampling Rate

2) ASIO Buffer Size (check it by going to Edit > Preferences > Audio > Driver Settings, in the Mixing Latency section - it should show 'number of samples' or something like that - might be 32 samples, 64 samples, 128 samples, etc... up to possibly 2048)

3) If you are trying to track/record, you should avoid having certain types of effects, such as convolution reverb or Linear Phase types, because they need huge ASIO buffer sizes in order to work properly.  You also, when recording, should keep your ASIO Buffer Size set at maybe 128 samples or a bit less, so that things sync properly.  When mixing, go ahead and throw in a convolution reverb, or a linear-phase EQ, etc., but now you should alter your ASIO Buffer Size up to either 1024 or even 2048.  SO - please list the plugins loaded into this particular project.

1) I think was set to 44.1, but I'd need to check when back at my laptop.  (I'm at work at the moment).  Was either that or 48, but I'm 95% sure it's 44.1.

2) It was set to 256 samples, but I increased to 512 when the dropouts started and it didn't help.

3) The only effect I ever have active when recording vocals is the Sonitus reverb as the CPU load seems to be low and I find having a gentle reverb helps when tracking vocals.  I'll have Waves GTR3 or TH3 active when recording guitar, depending on which sound I want.   All other effects get added once everything is recorded and I start mixing.

Edited by kevmsmith81