Converting Audio to MIDI

Dusan Sustarsic

58 minutes ago, Kevin Perry said:

Assuming you have Melodyne installed, drag an audio clip to a MIDI clip and Melodyne will automatically do its magic - you're obviously constrained by the source material (cleanliness) and version of Melodyne.

Does this not require the full version of Melodyne if it's more than one note playing at the time?

If it's polyphonic it's probably full version Melodyne.

I've done it with monophonic material in Waves Tune.

If to do bass, it does not go that low on octave, but then I inserted Waves Ultrapitch and raised one octave, then Waves Tune on that, then transposed midi down one octave again.

It's very accurate as I discovered, inserting lots of midi pitch wheel, like I did on bass. But just remove that and raw midi notes are there. Simple way to get notation for one thing.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

Being more accurate, you have to create an intrument track choosing any plugin you like.

After that you have to select the whole bars or part of the bars of the audio track.

Click right on an audio bar and choose region X - melodyne - create region FX.

After that you drag the audio track into the instrument track.

If the audio track is monophonic is all right.

But if the audio track is poliphonic you have to own at least Melodyne Assistant.

4 minutes ago, lapasoa said:

Being more accurate, you have to create an intrument track choosing any plugin you like.

After that you have to select the whole bars or part of the bars of the audio track.

Click right on an audio bar and choose region X - melodyne - create region FX.

After that you drag the audio track into the instrument track.

If the audio track is monophonic is all right.

But if the audio track is poliphonic you have to own at least Melodyne Assistant.

Are you sure it's Melodyne Assistant?  I own Assistant, and as far as I can tell that only deals in monophonic signals.  I thought you needed the top end edition (Studio) for any polyphonic signals.

AFAIK, if you're still in the trial period of Melodyne, you'll get full polyphonic conversion as it's effectively a trial version of the Studio edition.

It reverts back to monophonic when your trial period is ended.

Both Melodyne Editor & Studio editions support polyphonic conversion.

I found this video on you tube: as I can understand, any soft Synt can be usefol for conversion
The video uses Repture Pro, which unfortunately I don't have, so I used Synt which is already installed in the Sonar program.
Unfortunately, this does not work ....
As I can see Melodine is the only solution  ....

What type of track is the source audio track?

If it is multiple instruments already mixed into a stereo 2-track, that would be impossible to unmix and convert to midi.

If you have audio stems for each instrument track isolated, then the rules of monophonic (bassline or melody) and polyphonic (chords) would apply to either the basic version or the upgraded version of Melodyne.

• 1 year later...

It doesn't require Melodyne or any other additional program. Just create a synth track, select audio, drag it to synth track. Cakewalk will present a dialogue box; click OK to proceed with conversion. Results will depend on source material and may need MIDI editing to match the intent. The audio track is left intact. 

Drag and drop conversion of audio to MIDI (and tempo detection) uses the Melodyne VST3 plug-in. This was one of the featured added when ARA support was added to SONAR,

The results do depend on the source AND the Melodyne detection algorithm. The trial version of Melodyne bundled with CbB reverts to monophonic support only when the full version trial expires.

• 10 months later...

@Cezary 

You should always start new thread for help. 
The track you are dragging the audio to doesn’t look like a midi track. You must have changed the icon so hard to tell.  But I will assume it is a Simple Instrument Track which should work if it is.  
 I do see Omni as input. 

anyway looks like the processing goes way to fast so it failed. 
Sometimes Melodyne doesn’t like the material. If that is say a heavy distorted guitar it won’t work Melodyne needs clean tracks.  

Edited by John Vere

2 hours ago, Cezary said:

I dragged an audio clip to the instrument track and to the midi track. The result is the same every time.  Audio clip is a simple vocal melody.

If you are running the free version of Melodyne 5 or the player, MIDI extraction no longer works. You need to purchase one of the other products.

• Thanks 1