How to remove plug ins?

iZiKKO

Hi guys!

Trying to remove (exclude) some plug ins I don't need anymore with the built in Plug In Manager, but even if I have ticked them Excluded I can still see them in my Plug Ins Panel on the right. Re-scanning the plug in folders did not help. See image attached.

In this case I was trying to get rid of some mono versions of Blue Cat's plugs, as well as the (now) defunct Melodyne. Any ideas?

Also, how can I sort the plug ins into different, or even custom folders? There seems to be lots of them going in the Uncategorised -folder.

PlugInManager.png

Edited by Kris Olin

The plugin panel is based on your layout file. The exlusion list refers to the registered plugin list. To get what you want create a new layout file, design it how you wish (right click in the layout panel to create new folers) and then add your plugins to the folders you've created. Save it. Choose your layout from the plugin menu.

12 hours ago, Kris Olin said:

Hi guys!

Trying to remove (exclude) some plug ins I don't need anymore with the built in Plug In Manager, but even if I have ticked them Excluded I can still see them in my Plug Ins Panel on the right. Re-scanning the plug in folders did not help. See image attached.

In this case I was trying to get rid of some mono versions of Blue Cat's plugs, as well as the (now) defunct Melodyne. Any ideas?

Also, how can I sort the plug ins into different, or even custom folders? There seems to be lots of them going in the Uncategorised -folder.

PlugInManager.png

If you really want to remove any plugins completely from your computer, the best way is to use an uninstaller, if available. Else if you just want to hide certain versions of a plugin without uninstalling it, the Cakewalk Plugin Manager is probably the simplest way to exclude them from view.  If you still see the plugin after excluding and re-scanning, you may have a duplicate DLL located in another folder in the scan path. I have had that happen.

To uninstall a plugin, some plugins use a  GUI install manager, or license manager. Use that if available. Native Instruments  Native Access would be good example of this.

Next choice would be to look in Windows Programs and Features for an uninstaller, if available. My Blue Cat plugins appear in there.

If there is no uninstaller for the plugin, just remove the DLL file for the plugin from your VST folder. You can move it to a temp location that is not in your DAW's VST scan path, or delete it.

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Kris Olin said:

I have also used C Cleaner which seems to collect all uninstallers into its interface.

That's typically not necessary, but might be handy if the uninstaller was corrupted.

I would recommend avoiding CCleaner for anything beyond cleaning up browser traces, cookies, and temp files.  Beyond that (or any automated registry tool) could damage your system registry.  I do all my registry edits by hand, and then only after careful backups, and/or full system images.

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 1:18 AM, Kris Olin said:

but even if I have ticked them Excluded I can still see them in my Plug Ins Panel on the right. Re-scanning the plug in folders did not help. See image attached.

You need to remove them from the vst folder its scanning. if you wan them off your PC, then you need to uninstall them and make sure all paths are uninstalled, including plugin templates.

• Like 1