Latest Windows Update changes Setting

Roger Wicks

Concerning Windows 10, in the past, we were told to open the Device Manager and disable the 'High Definition Audio Controller'.

Well, these latest updates (around 1-18-19 to 1-27-19, version 1809) have re-enabled the device.

Just a heads-up to all.  (I see there is another post talking about the recent update, but I didn't want this to possibly get lost in the subject)

I am assuming this is still an issue (disabling the controller) ???      Thanks all  😶

This is the thing that drives people crazy about Windows 10.  Backing up is not an answer. The best way is to try to have a system disk and data disks. This wont stop Windows from reseting users setups but will prevent Windows from overwriting your important files or deleting them. 

14 hours ago, Cosmo Kramer said:

Concerning Windows 10, in the past, we were told to open the Device Manager and disable the 'High Definition Audio Controller'.

Well, these latest updates (around 1-18-19 to 1-27-19, version 1809) have re-enabled the device.

Just a heads-up to all.  (I see there is another post talking about the recent update, but I didn't want this to possibly get lost in the subject)

I am assuming this is still an issue (disabling the controller) ???      Thanks all  😶

I went to the BIOS and disabled the onboard audio there. I'm pretty sure my console has a better DAC than the motherboard of my computer. Since windows can't even see the onboard audio (to include also the HDMI audio to my video monitor) it won't even try to install those drivers.

Just keep in mind to check your custom system settings after every major Windows 10 feature update (i.e. 1803 to 1809, etc.).

Each major Windows feature update is actually like a full Windows version upgrade, and this can reset certain system settings to default. It even seems to change the computer ID that some software activation systems rely on. 

I have heard of some devices being re-enabled in Device Manager, as well as Power Options like hibernation, and certain Privacy settings being reset to defaults.  There may be others, and I have not run across any comprehensive lists yet.  Best to make notes about your particular custom settings, and then run through a checklist after upgrading.

4 minutes ago, pwalpwal said:

yeah but i'm not going to be imaging every time there's a windows update!

Whatcha talking about? I image every day at 6 p.m.  using a Macrium Reflect scheduled backup. Takes roughly 36 minutes, and I can continue working during the task if I want to, although I generally take a break around that time.

No Windows update is ever going to cost me more than a day's work!

20 hours ago, John Sandlin said:

I went to the BIOS and disabled the onboard audio there. I'm pretty sure my console has a better DAC than the motherboard of my computer. Since windows can't even see the onboard audio (to include also the HDMI audio to my video monitor) it won't even try to install those drivers.

Wait, I thought everybody did this.

It's one of the first things I do when I get a computer, kinda like downloading my favorite browser.

Disable onboard audio, download drivers for audio interface, download VLC, Firefox....

So there are audio people who leave that thing turned on in their BIOS.

All this time I've been reading these posts from disgruntled audio people complaining how this or that Windows 10 update switched their HD Audio back on and thinking "wow, I wonder how Microsoft manages that?" Every so often I'd been checking my one system that I upgraded to Windows 10 to see if they had somehow circumvented the laws of physics, but no, not so far.

For those of you who leave them turned on when you are going to go into Device Manager and disable it anyway, why, pray tell, leave a spurious audio interface enabled on your studio computer? Do some BIOses not allow you to disable them at a hardware level?

7 minutes ago, Starship Krupa said:

Wait, I thought everybody did this.

It's one of the first things I do when I get a computer, kinda like downloading my favorite browser.

Disable onboard audio, download drivers for audio interface, download VLC, Firefox....

So there are audio people who leave that thing turned on in their BIOS.

All this time I've been reading these posts from disgruntled audio people complaining how this or that Windows 10 update switched their HD Audio back on and thinking "wow, I wonder how Microsoft manages that?" Every so often I'd been checking my one system that I upgraded to Windows 10 to see if they had somehow circumvented the laws of physics, but no, not so far.

For those of you who leave them turned on when you are going to go into Device Manager and disable it anyway, why, pray tell, leave a spurious audio interface enabled on your studio computer? Do some BIOses not allow you to disable them at a hardware level?

It's the primary reason I stopped using my gaming computer as my DAW workstation ages ago. Turning on the entire DAW experience to hear in game sound was a bit overkill and clunky, actually.

16 minutes ago, John Sandlin said:

It's the primary reason I stopped using my gaming computer as my DAW workstation ages ago. Turning on the entire DAW experience to hear in game sound was a bit overkill and clunky, actually.

i use the realtek for games/desktop stuff and my interfaces for daw stuff

45 minutes ago, pwalpwal said:

i use the realtek for games/desktop stuff and my interfaces for daw stuff

Back in the XP days my games would crash using an AP2496 or Terratec EWX.   I don't get why people think their gaming experience is better through a pro audio card.   Does it sound better? I wouldn't know. 

It's not a Windows update until it messes with your previous settings.  I had to revert more than once because it messed up my home network.  The password protecting sharing was messed up.  I'd try logging into another machine and no matter was password I used never worked.  I hope they fired those people who kept messing it up.