Weird problem with Cakewalk and Melodyne as a tool.

jono grant

Hi, I'm having a very strange problem.

I use Melodyne as a tool in Cakewalk. (I also use it inside CW but often prefer to use it as a tool)

Anyhow, I have this session and any wave file I try to bring into Melodyne through the utilities menu gets rejected. Either "can't open this tool clip" or "Can't open this sample type" or something to that effect.

If Iexport the wave to my desktop, I can open it in Melodyne fine. If I make a new CW session and bring in some audio I can open it in the melodyne tool fine. If I bounce that clip in Cakewalk though, then it won't open in Melodyne, I get the message when I try to bring it in.

Sample rates and bit depth are the same. I can't think of any other reason CW would be altering the wave file so that Melodyne won't accept it.

Any ideas out there?

Cheers

Edited by jono grant

Even more strange... 

I just tried to bring in a wave to melodyne and it wasn't accepted like I mention in the main post. BUT I tried exporting that wave out to my desktop, brought it back into Cakewalk and then it opens fine in Melodyne!!!

Gonna check the permissions of these waves in the project audio folder but this is really weird!

J

Solved! But still weird...

It seems there was an instance of melodyne inserted into a track effects bin. It was powered off but still must have been causing the TOOLS version of Melodyne not to allow any waves to open. 

I removed the inserted plugin and then the melodyne tool allowed me to open waves. 

The things you learn!

Jono

• 2 weeks later...

The problem here is resolved. It was that Cakewalk's default render bit depth  somehow got got changed to 64 bit rather than 24 bit.

Melodyne obviously couldn't deal with the 64 bit files. That's why newly imported files into Cakewalk would open in melodyne whereas if I bounced down first, they wouldn't open in melodyne because they would have been changed to 64 bit.

J

• Like 1

Correct me is I am wrong but, wouldn't using Melodyne as a tool be a destructive way of manipulating wave files?

How would you go back and tweak something later? Isn't it also re-sampling the wave and thus possibly introducing phase and possible quality reduction issues?

I am just wondering if I actually understand the purpose of your approach in the first place. 

If you need to can't you just bounce Melodyne tracks to another track within Cakewalk without the need to take them out externally?

Edited by RexRed

On 3/6/2020 at 5:55 PM, RexRed said:

Correct me is I am wrong but, wouldn't using Melodyne as a tool be a destructive way of manipulating wave files?

How would you go back and tweak something later? Isn't it also re-sampling the wave and thus possibly introducing phase and possible quality reduction issues?

I am just wondering if I actually understand the purpose of your approach in the first place. 

If you need to can't you just bounce Melodyne tracks to another track within Cakewalk without the need to take them out externally?

I work on a copy of the wave file of course.

Melodyne is very time-consuming to use inside of Cakewalk. I appreciate that it works that way and use it sometimes, but nine times out of 10 I'll use it as a tool and be done in a flash. Not afraid to commit things, I come from an old school of recording... we didn't always have all these modern luxuries! :)   

4 hours ago, jono grant said:

I work on a copy of the wave file of course.

Melodyne is very time-consuming to use inside of Cakewalk. I appreciate that it works that way and use it sometimes, but nine times out of 10 I'll use it as a tool and be done in a flash. Not afraid to commit things, I come from an old school of recording... we didn't always have all these modern luxuries! :)   

Hi. Glad things are sorting out for you. I don't understand in what way Melodyne is time consuming in Cakewalk. I use it extensively as some of my clients are a wee pitch challenged. Select the wav, hit Control R (hotkey for opening), tune, hit B (changes the Melodyne altered wav to a normal wav - however tuned. Takes seconds and all in the box. (I do make a backup of the vocal and archive it before processing.)

Yeah, I guess it works pretty fast as a region effect. I'm just used to it as a tool. Will try it this way. I think I had used it in an effects bin before where you have to play through the file to get it to  populate Melodyne. Cheers and thanks!

J