JBL 308P MkII - Powered 8" Two-Way Studio Monitor $129 + Free Shipping

mcmd

Looks like a good deal.  I haven't heard the 8" myself but based on some reviews some people feel that the 5 inch version has better mid-range fidelity. It is nice, however,  to have that extra low end to monitor how the bass is working in your mix and I would bet that if you used something like Sonarworks or IKM ARC 2.5 (which I'm loving right now) that the 8 inch might be a better deal since the RTA could help bring back that mid range clarity. There is no question that the LSR series has amazing imaging and depth to them that punches above their weight (sorry for the cliche but it's true). I'm currently looking to add an 8 inch to my LSR305's and this is tempting but for a bit more money I could also get the Fluid Audio FX8 which seems to be a step up. Decisions, decisions...

46 minutes ago, Patrick Derbidge said:

I'm currently looking to add an 8 inch to my LSR305's and this is tempting but for a bit more money I could also get the Fluid Audio FX8 which seems to be a step up. Decisions, decisions...

I have the 306P MkII in between my HS7's and MSP5's ... JBL are great at the price point....the Yammy's are it for me.

Edited by mcmd
typo

2 hours ago, mcmd said:

I have the 306P MkII in between my HS7's and MSP5's ... JBL are great at the price point....the Yammy's are it for me.

I think I'm with you on that one. I found that I was pushing the midrange on vocals a little too much with the JBL's until I got a pair of decent grot box speakers that had more mid-range to compare. Once I got Arc 2.5 everything got even easier. The Yammy's would have solved a lot of those issues with their more forward mid-range. I also got a chance to try out the Mackie MR524's and couldn't believe how good they were. The only issue was they didn't have the same depth as the JBL's but they definitely had tighter bass and had high's that extended nicely without being harsh. The mid-range was also just a tad more forward without overdoing it but enough to keep me from pushing things too far. I would trust the new Mackie's more for vocals and guitars but for panning and reverb I think the JBL's would still do better. I was considering keeping the Mackie's  since they would be a nice compliment to the JBL 305's but I think I want to stretch a bit and get more low end, thus the search for a decent 6 or 8 inch that could still image well with similar depth as the JBL's but with a more forward mid-range. The HS8's definitely tick those boxes. Thanks for the post, you helped me advert the impulse on this one. I don't think the 308 will be an improvement to what I already have but for someone on a budget looking for their first decent monitor then these will definitely hit the spot.

Edited by Patrick Derbidge
  • Like 1