Cakewalk hanging on startup

haydn12

I've had Cakewalk hang twice on startup in the past couple weeks.  This is a new issue that I've never had in the past.   I'm unable to kill Cakewalk in Task Manager and have to reboot to launch it again.  I don't see any errors in the Windows logs at the time it hangs.    Any other log files I can check?

Jim

Are you loading CbB into a project, at startup, or just launching it to start with no selected project?

Also, usually, when you cannot kill CbB, in Task Manger, you can either reset your audio interface (turn off/on or disconnect/reconnect), and that will usually do it - sometimes, it takes a while for it to clean up sub-tasks, and it is usually its connection to the audio interface drivers.

By chance, is your Windows Update maintenance up to current?  (Even if you have automatic updating, there might be some optional updates waiting for you to specifically authorize their being installed - go to Settings > Update and Security > Windows Update, and look right below the button that is labeled 'Check for Updates',  and that is where you might see other maintenance waiting for you to give it the go-ahead).

You might also make sure your audio interface drivers and/or firmware, are up to date, too.

The good news is that, because this seems to only be happening on your system, rather than a widespread reported problem, it would seem QUITE likely to be some little and solvable thing with your environment, so it should be able to be cleared up - hopefully quickly. :) 

Bob Bone

This usually only happens to me on occasion, such as  if Cakewalk has suffered an sudden abnormal crash first, as caused by a bad plugin.

In that case, it is possible that the audio driver is left in a "dirty" state, and is not released by Cakewalk, so the system won't let you kill the task. I used to reboot to fix this, until I discovered that resetting the device usually helps release it.

It happens so infrequently, that I can live with it. And I am running an end of life audio device with Win 7 drivers, on the latest Win 10 update.

Edited by abacab

Still could be ASIO driver related.

If you are comfortable with regedit, take a look at

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ASIO

This is where ASIO drivers are registered. There should be no more than one driver per interface.

Could by try bypassing the ASIO drivers by renaming this registry entry.

15 hours ago, haydn12 said:

I'm just launching Cakewalk without a project.  This has happened with 2 different audio interfaces.  Windows updates are current.

Jim

Can you please also let me know if your audio interface updates and any possible firmware updates for it, are all up to date, as well?

Bob Bone

I mentioned the ASIO registry entries because even if the hardware and drivers are up to date and working properly there may be an entry in the registry hanging up CbB - possibly a "Generic" ASIO driver. Temporarily renaming the ASIO registry is a quick test to bypass this part of the CbB startup. If the program starts up albeit without ASIO that narrows the problem down considerably.

I recall once upon a time that a Steinberg demo installer slipped a "Generic" ASIO driver onto my machine, which prevented Cakewalk from detecting my "real" ASIO setup. That experience showed me that it is best to make sure there is only one installed, as @scook suggested.

Edited by abacab

Thanks for the replies.  I'll take a look for any generic ASIO drivers that got installed.  I did have the Magix one before but I removed it.   I'm using a MOTU M4 with the latest firmware drivers installed.  Weird that it did it before I started using the M4.   I was using a MOTU 4pre which crashed the same way and I had been using that for quite a few years.  

Jim

• 3 months later...
On 2/26/2020 at 8:09 AM, haydn12 said:

Thanks for the replies.  I'll take a look for any generic ASIO drivers that got installed.  I did have the Magix one before but I removed it.   I'm using a MOTU M4 with the latest firmware drivers installed.  Weird that it did it before I started using the M4.   I was using a MOTU 4pre which crashed the same way and I had been using that for quite a few years.  

Jim

Hi Jim,

Just wanted to know if you were able to solve this issue.

I'm facing something similar. Here's the link to my post.

https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/topic/16422-asio-driver-causing-clicks-and-pops-on-project-startup/

Let me know if you have any ideas.

Thanks,

Gaurav

Gaurav,

I have had this issue a couple more times and it appears to be a Windows update that caused the issue.   I found that System Interrupts were using 100% CPU which was causing Cakewalk to hang.  If I waited 5 minutes, Cakewalk would load properly.   My work computer started doing the same thing and it showed the same high CPU usage in Task Manager.  I'm thinking another Windows update was installed that solved the issue as I haven't seen it for a few week.s

Jim

I seem to have unwittingly solved the problem (At least for myself).

My configuration:
AMD FX-6300 3.5Ghz
12Gb RAM
SSD system drive
Windows 10 LTSC
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 (1st Gen...boy, did I have a royal migraine with the drivers, but that's fixed now)

To start with, these were the symptoms specific to my setup:
Double clicking the desktop icon OR  launching it from Bandlab Assistant would start it up. It would display the splash screen and stay stuck there for anything between 3 to 5 minutes. If I clicked anywhere during the period, it would say 'Cakewalk is not responding' . But in about 3-5 minutes it would resolve itself and thereafter work normally and generally, flawlessly.

Here's what I did....
1) I unplugged my 2i4, started up cakewalk and glory be! ...it took just a few seconds to start up!
2) While cakewalk was still in that state (running) , I re-plugged the 2i4.
3) Then I shut down Cakewalk.
4) Then I fired it up again with the 2i4 connected and great! it worked! 
5) Just to be sure, I restarted my machine, and then tried again...and much to my joy it started up in just a few moments.

Currently, it fires up in about 6 seconds.

I don't know if it'll work for everyone but it did for me.  Hope this helps!

Cheers!

Edited by Moa Longkumer

11 minutes ago, Moa Longkumer said:

I seem to have unwittingly solved the problem (At least for myself).

My configuration:
AMD FX-6300 3.5Ghz
12Gb RAM
SSD system drive
Windows 10 LTSC
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 (1st Gen...boy, did I have a royal migraine with the drivers, but that's fixed now)

To start with, these were the symptoms specific to my setup:
Double clicking the desktop icon or launching it from Bandlab Assistant would start it up. It would display the splash screen and stay stuck there for anything between 3 to 5 minutes. If I clicked anywhere during the period, it would say 'Cakewalk is not responding' . But in about 3-5 minutes it would resolve itself and thereafter work normally and generally, flawlessly.

Here's what I did....
1) I unplugged my 2i4, started up cakewalk and glory be! ...it took just a few seconds to start up!
2) While cakewalk was still in the state (running) , I re-plugged the 2i4.
3) Then I shut down Cakewalk.
4) Then I fired it up again with the 2i4 connected and great! it worked! 
5) Just to be sure, I restarted my machine, and then tried again...and much to my joy it started up in just a few moments.

Currently, it fires up in about 6 seconds.

I don't know if it'll work for everyone but it did for me.  Hope this helps!

Cheers!

Well, THAT'S pretty weird - glad you are up and running - maybe it got tired of fighting with you, and just gave in....

Bob Bone

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I wish my problem was that simple.  This is the first time running Cakewalk and it hangs forever on the first splash screen.  I never even had a chance to install audio interfaces.  It just hangs there, not using any resources, no CPU spike, nuthin.  I uninstalled and reinstalled.  same thing.  

7 hours ago, VIncent Luciani said:

I wish my problem was that simple.  This is the first time running Cakewalk and it hangs forever on the first splash screen.  I never even had a chance to install audio interfaces.  It just hangs there, not using any resources, no CPU spike, nuthin.  I uninstalled and reinstalled.  same thing.  

Is your Windows maintenance up to date?

How about your plugins?  Up to date with maintenance there?

You mentioned not having any audio interface installed.  It might be worth completing the installation of the drivers, for whichever audio interface you are using, prior to installing Cakewalk - certainly best to have the audio interface drivers installed before launching Cakewalk.

Also, can you please list your computer's specs?  CPU type, amount of memory, which version of Windows you are running, etc....

What screen deo you mean, by "splash screen"?

14 hours ago, VIncent Luciani said:

Is Cakewalk updated to the latest version? There was a potential hang on start fix that went into the very latest update. Otherwise there are some things you can change external to the app if there's an audio driver issue preventing the app from being able to start.

• Like 1