How To Change the Tools Icons on Control Bar

Jerry Gerber

Hi,

On one of the themes I use, I'd like to change the Tools Icons back to the original ones, specifically the Smart Tool to the star icon and the Select tool to the arrow icon.

I know a little about the theme editor but not sure how to do this.  Can someone explain how I can revert back to the original icons?

Thanks!

Jerry

After opening the theme using the Theme Editor, you would have to navigate to the node Control Bar > Modules > Tools in the left-hand treeview and replace the images "Smart Tool", “Smart Tool (customized)” and “Select tool” found under that node with the corresponding images that were present in that theme before CbB version 2019.07. If you don’t have an old version of the theme available, you would have to make those modifications yourself using some paint program.

However, whenever CbB in the future is updated with new or modified GUI resources and your base theme is being updated to reflect this, you would have to do it all over again in order to keep up with all other changes. Unless you’re comfortable with that, or alternatively accept that your personal theme gradually becomes obsolete, my best suggestion would be to accept these three buttons as they are.

Edited by Canopus
Three buttons, not two

The easiest way to get the old Tool icons is open both the CbB and SONAR theme editors (assuming you do not have the old CbB available).

Then locate the images in both editors, I searched for smart

Then copy the SONAR image over the CbB image (right-click the image for a context menu)

There are now two sets of button images used for the smart tool - one when all options are enabled and another when some of the smart tool options are disabled. Whether you wish to maintain this is up to you.

The same process may be used for the Select tool too.

Hi Canopus,

I did that, I have the theme editor opened, I went to Control Bar-Modules-tools and I see both the tools as they are and the original tools, but what do I do next?  How do I substitute the originals for the newer ones?  Do I copy and paste?  Drag them?  I cannot seem to do either...

Thank you!

Jerry

Removing an image is possible when starting with a user theme. This will cause the DAW to use the Mercury image.

In this case, the images in Mercury were modified too.

The only way to get images used in a prior Mercury or Tungsten release is copy the images from the prior release. Assuming the images have the same geometry. Themes are not always backward compatible.