Cakewalk.ini

Bill Phillips

Question

9 answers to this question

I reported a problem with this in Feedback section, not having user priviledges where it's located.

What you have to do

- find cakewalk.ini on disk

- start notepad.exe as administrator(look up exe-file and run as administrator)

- edit and save what you want to do in cakewalk.ini

Cakewalk installer does not make it user priviledge to edit in that location - which I think it should do.

I fixed that myself using icacls.exe command in a command prompt with adminstrator rights.

The cakewalk.ini used by CbB for a particular user is in %appdata%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core

Normally the user who's folder this is has full control over the file. No special action should be needed to read, write, delete or rename the file.

The recommended method of modifying this file is using the Preference screen shown above.

I found cakewalk.ini in 2 places - where you said as well as under C:\program data\cakewalk\cakewalk core

Same created date as install Cakewalk was made - maybe that was the wrong one.

I believe the AllUsers part under c:\programdata has to be granted by installer, as I found.

c:\Users is another case which %appdata% send you.

The cakewalk.ini along with the rest of the file in "C:\ProgramData\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core" are the master files that are copied into "%appdata%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core" (a.k.a the user directory) when CbB is run for the first time.

CbB does not rely on the files in "C:\ProgramData\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core" at run time. Instead the program read the data from the user directory.

It is best to leave the ProgramData files unchanged as they may be used to restore the program to factory defaults. Users should only modify the contents of their user directory using the preference screens whenever possible.

• Thanks 1

I see, thank you, that explains it.

A simple button to open it for editing would help in Preferences.

Or are the buttons put stuff in Wincake section in cakewalk.ini - very unclear as it is now?

I wanted the coloring of velocity gone, so just looked at how to do that.

But seems theme stuff override anyway, I see no difference at first glance.

EDIT: added in the right cakewalk.ini and this comes up in Preferences dialog.

Edited by LarsF