Clip behavior in take lanes

sven450

This is baffling me.  On some clips in the take lanes, I can slip edit no problem.  But other tracks, if I try to slip edit a take lane, it slip edits ALL the takes.  I can't seem to find the command or menu to fix this.  Anyone help me out?

I had this happen the other day and in my case anyway I believe it was that while the clips in the take lanes themselves weren't selected/highlighted the affected take lanes themselves were selected. To quickly deselect every clip/track in the session use the cntrl/shift+A command and try your edit again and see if that doesn't fix it. 

Edited by Christian Jones
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know a solution to this? I don't believe I solved this for the OP as today I'm having the same exact problem where I have this track that won't let me slip edit only one of the take lanes and instead it's slip editing *all* take lanes on the track even though nothing is highlighted. In fact, even when I *do* highlight the one clip in the one take lane that I want to slip edit it *still* grabs all of the clips in all the take lanes in that track. 

The one exception is if I use the split tool to cut some of the clip in question away and *then* it let's me slip edit just that one clip/take lane. 

Anyone know what's up? I'm like a fly that circled back and landed on the wallpaper this time and now we're both stuck lol

I'm seeing that this is happening when all of the clips in the take lanes have the same start time. That's why when I cut a bit off of the start of the clip then it lets me slip edit it while leaving the rest of the clips/takes lanes in that track alone. Is this a bug or some feature that can be disabled?

Yeah must be a bug because today on the same track it's not happening and I can slip edit however I want. But when it was happening--and it will again I'm sure--I also noticed that if I zoomed out a bit then I was able to slip edit just one take lane rather than them all. When I was zoomed in (enlarged) then instead of that slip edit bar icon showing up this weird open book-looking icon showed up instead and slip edited all the clips as a group. Lame, but if you encounter this again try zooming out a bit and see if you can slip edit w/o having to change clips' start times etc. Still lame.

2 hours ago, SteveC said:

If you need to slip-edit one clip where multiple clips have the same start or end point, try selecting the clip and then Shift+Slip Edit.

So hold down Shift while I try to slip edit is what you're saying? What's the deal with the same start and end point and why is that mattering, or interfering I should say, here? 

I'm not completely sure, but it's something I've been doing for some time now when the cursor switches as you've described.    I figure I must have read it somewhere along the way but I honestly don't recall when/where.   Then again, there's lots of stuff I can't remember.      ;)