sustained notes sticking

LNovik@aol.com

I am working on a 3rd party version of a  song. There are about 10 midi tracks. I'm trying to learn some of these parts, so I bring up the staff view for an individual track. When I then play these notes,  some of them sustain as if I'm holding down the sustain  peddle (or key).  It doesn't always occur on the same notes. For instance, at the moment, it's the middle C, the F above that, and the Bb below that. The other notes don't sustain. The notes are being played on my Roland Integra-7.   I assume there is some sustain on one or more of the other tracks as this  point in the song, , and this 'bleeds" thru onto my current track.

Interestingly, when I assign it to another instrument, such as the Motif ES7, there are still abnormally sustained notes, just not the same ones. Again, I'm not just saying these notes seem to sustain during the song  when I don't think they should (though this does also  occur.)  I'm saying that when I stop the recording and simply play a scale, certain notes just sustain inappropriately.

LNovik

The symptoms are a little weird, but basically it sounds like you need to make sure each MIDI track is using a different channel, and different from whatever channel your controller is sending when you're playing along. And you'll need to change the patch on the channel you're playing to match whatever part you're trying to learn. 

I'm a little surprised to hear it's affecting both the Roland and the Motif.  I would have expected this problem to be synth-specific.

Would need to see the MIDI file to understand how the file itself might be causing the problem.

I am not clear on what you are actually doing. If you  are hearing the notes you are playing on your controller, while playing the notes you are seeing on the staff view, then you are recording with input echo on as you play. If you are recording on the same track as the notes that you are listening to, it might be possible that you are obliterating the note off of the note from the imported file by laying down a new note on top of it. If you are recording to the same track, try setting up your keyboard to record on a new track altogether by setting the new track and keyboard to communicate on a MIDI channel that is different from the imported track.  I would think that would be the best practice in this case anyway. I think that is what David Baay is recommending as well.

Re, David Baay's response, it is true that other tracks are probably using the same sound, and maybe even on the same channel. I'll check that. However, as I had said, it even occurred when I changed the single track I was working on to another synth==which of course was on another channel.

As to slartabarfast's response: while this is also occurring when I am playing along (not recording) with the song, it also occurs when I pause the track and try to play certain parts alone.  I will try to see if it occurs when I stop a track, and not just when I pause the track.

LNovik