How To Apply Effects?

DallasSteve

Question

I read about effects in the docs, but I'm still not sure if I understand working with them, and I don't want to apply them destructively until I'm ready. 

I see you can add an effect in the FX bin for a track, or I think you can also insert an effect on a clip by right-click, Insert Effect.  Are those the 2 ways to do this, or are there other ways?  I think the docs tell me that the effects do not modify the actual recorded audio until you select Process Effect.  Is that the way to apply the effect permanently (I think they call that "destructively")?  Until then does removing the effect from the FX bin return the recorded audio to normal?  How do you remove an FX from a clip?  I hunted for that but I didn't find it.

I tested a reverb effect on an audio voice track and I heard the difference.  I then removed it from the FX bin and the audio sounded normal again.  I also tried putting MAutoPitch in my FX bin for my audio voice track and even after playing with the settings I never really heard a difference.  I'm sure it's not because my vocals were right on the money.  How can I get my vocals auto tuned?

Thanks, Steve

2 answers to this question

It might be a bit complicated to give tutorials via forum texts. You might look up various tutorials on you tube. The more recent ones will include some lessons on using Melodyne - which would be a good tool for tuning. Might not be automatic - so to speak - but it does a great job when used with reasonable length clips. There is a lot of Cakewalk material out there. Much of very well done.

I think the docs tell me that the effects do not modify the actual recorded audio until you select Process Effect.  Is that the way to apply the effect permanently 

I see you can add an effect in the FX bin for a track, or I think you can also insert an effect on a clip by right-click, Insert Effect.  Are those the 2 ways to do this, or are there other ways? 

Yes those are ways to add effects. also, you can add to buses as well and use the sends from each track to send to a bus with effects on it.  This is useful for when you want more than one track to go to the same effect and for parallel compression..

As far as using the 'Process Effect', I would not use it. Why destruct something when you can leave it as non destructive and still get the same results?