Song plays back too fast

drummin

Hello everyone - I recorded some songs quite a while back ( I believe it was on Cakewalk version 4) and they were recorded using 96000 setting and I am tying to load them into Cakewalk by Bandlab to master them but they all play back too fast even though I have the ASIO driver in Cakewalk by Bandlab set to 96000 and the audio interFace (Roland OctaCapture) also set to 96000? I have tried setting both to 44100 but still sounding like chipmunks? I would appreciate anyone with a better understanding of this and any possible solutions. Also I have these songs in both a wave format and a Cakewalk Bundle format but again each  format will not play at the proper speed when loaded into the DAW.  One final question I have is: I believe that these songs were recorded using a different driver than the ASIO one (maybe the WDM or? - can't remember) but when I go into Cakewalk by Bandlab and try to change drivers it shows 64bit engine and there is no other drivers available - everything is greyed out and only the ASIO driver is visible - I'm wondering if when the DAW was installed and I chose the 64bit engine it only works with the ASIO driver (which is fine going forward on new recordings - but it would be nice to be able to load legacy drivers that worked on 32bit)?

One thing that can cause the DAW to play clips too fast is the sample rate of the clips is lower sample rate then the sample rate reported by the clip headers.

This can happen when the DAW sends the audio interface (currently running at a lower sample rate) a request to change sample rates and the interface ignores the request. When recording the DAW writes the data at the interface sample rate but the clip headers are set to the DAW sample rate.

One way to see if this is what happened here is modify the clip headers. One such tool I have used in the past to preform this task is sox.

Using sox to change a clip header to 44.1k is

sox -r 44.1k clip.wav fixedclip.wav

If loading the fixedclip.wav into a Cakewalk project running at 44.1 plays OK, it means the project was actually recorded at 44.1k.

If the fixedclip.wav runs too slow check higher sample rates.

The greyed out value next to the 64bit DPE check box is driver bit depth. Most ASIO drivers use one bit depth so this drop down is disabled. Moreover, driver bit depth has nothing to do with sample rate or the problem reported. FYI, this is not the record bit depth which is set on the File Audio Data preference page. This too does not affect clip playback speed but should no lower than the driver bit depth.

Choice of driver is made on the Audio Playback and Recording preference page, however; changing to a different driver mode is likely not the solution.

The choice of 32 or 64bit engine does not affect clip playback speed. Neither does creating projects on 32bit software and playing back on 64bit software.

Sox should do the trick if that is the problem. Another, maybe easier to use, option is https://www.sounddevices.com/product/wave-agent-software/  .  that has a user interface that will tell you what the current metadata are and let you change them as well. In any event you do NOT want to actually re-sample the audio using something like R8brain. You just want to change the bytes in the existing file that tell playback devices what the sampling rate is. Re-sampling, actually adjusting the audio to fit a new sample rate, will just give you the same chipmunks at a different sample rate.

• 3 months later...

Thank you all for your possible solutions and I apologize for not replying sooner. I will investigate your possible fixes and will probably have a few more questions as I am not sure what you are referring to  in the software settings you speak of.  I will do some research on those solutions and try to figure it out. Thank you.

Hi John Vere - I usually saved them in both forms - as a Wave file and in CWP format but neither one will play back at the correct speed now?  My audio interface (Roland Octa-Capture) seems to be changing the sample to match the rate in accordance with whatever is chosen from the DAW settings in Cakewalk by Bandlab but still playback is too fast. I guess the only thing to try is to determine the file header settings as described above and change that header to the correct sample rate and see what happens. I just don't know enough about writing DOS commands and using command lines and such to comfortably use the software suggested. I am wondering if there is software out there that would have a more comfortable user interface to do the job or some sort of automated setup? Also if memory serves I think the songs in question were recorded on an old 20 bit Echo Gina sound card audio interface but I don't think the bit depth should be causing the fast playback issue?

What happens if you disconnect the Roland interface and use the on board sound card in WASAPI exclusive mode? 

Before I mucked about with the files I'd try a different system. 

I'd also try opening the wave files in a editor like Audacity or Gold wave which are free. 

You can also download a demo of another DAW like Studio One and import the wave files. 

• 2 years later...
29 minutes ago, Mark Cosentino said:

i just walked into this. same problem with the chipmonks. HELP !

We need to know more information before anyone can help you.

Tell us what audio interface you have, which driver mode you're using and what your project sample rate is set to for a start.