Set loop range with control surface?

dougalex

I have tried but do not not yet find a way to set a loop range by defining custom function buttons on a  control surface.

Anyone know of a way to set loop start and end points using a control surface?

Edited by dougalex
fix typo

5 hours ago, chuckebaby said:

My Mackie control MCU uses "modifiers" for selection points, then has a separate button for loop on/off.

It might help knowing what control surface you are trying to do this with. It would make it easier to explain as every one is different/has different buttons.

So you can set/edit the loop region with the Mackie MCU? If so, I think that means I can do it with TouchDAW.

Can you tell me more of how you do it with the Mackie MCU, then maybe I can extrapolate to TouchDAW.

FYI, here is a video on using TouchDAW with Cakewalk

17 hours ago, dougalex said:

Can you tell me more of how you do it with the Mackie MCU

The Mackie control has Modifier keys which intern are used in conjunction with selection keys to enter selections on the timeline itself.

Once these selections are made, loop can be enabled (loop has its on button).

Not sure what else i can tell you. You might have to assign keys F1 thru F4 as selection points then F3 to loop.

7 hours ago, chuckebaby said:

Modifier keys which intern are used in conjunction with selection keys to enter selections on the timeline itself.

So, to be clear, with your Mackie, can you (completely remotely) set a selection range like this scenario:

1] Pause, the transport somewhere in the song, and set "beginning of range" at that point
2] Play forward a bit, and pause transport, and set "end of range" at that point

No matter what the buttons are called ("Modifier keys", "Selection Keys") they still have to send "generic control surface commands"that Cakewalk understands, right?
 I am trying to determine if the Mackie has some proprietary commands that:
a) Cakewalk responds to (of course), but,
b) other controllers cannot produce those same special commands.

Edited by dougalex
fix typo

Success! I am now using TouchDAW (wireless control surface on Android phone) to control Cakewalk transport, and now, I can also set the loop range (the loop range was the part I was struggling to figure out).
I realize now this is done fairly simply using the "pick list" of commands in the "Cakewalk control surface setup screen" that can be assigned to Function buttons:
e.g.
F1 Set "from selection" to Now
F2 Set "thru selection" to Now
F3 Set loop to selection

• Like 1