Cakewalk Platinum and Bandlab version

molly townsend

Hi, I bought Platinum a couple of years ago.  I didn't get the CD I just downloaded it from the site, it came with some addons that I use a lot, like the dimension pro VST and some others. I also purchased Melodyne, which I want to continue using. 

Does anyone know:    Is the Bandlab version the same as the version that I bought - can I still use the extras that came with it and my version of Melodyne ?

If not, is there anyway I can get a hard copy of the version I purchased,  because I live in fear of having a crash and not being able to download it again

Thanks in advance

Cakewalk did not offer physical media for Platinum. You will have to create the disks yourself.

The installers are available in your old Cakewalk account.

Addictive Drums and Melodyne  are managed by their respective companies.

XLN Audio has a universal installer for their products. It is available at their site

Melodyne should be downloaded directly from your Celemony account.

With the exception of these two products, the rest of Platinum should be installed using the Cakewalk Command Center. The installers used by the Cakewalk Command Center are the same as the installers in your old Cakewalk Account. They are cached on your PC. The default location is C:\ProgramData\Cakewalk\Command Center\Downloads.

Cakewalk By BandLab can use everything bundled with 64 bit Platinum. CbB started with the Platinum code base so the DAW is very similar to Platinum except it does not include most of the plug-ins and content bundled with Platinum. Of course, CbB has been updated regularly since BandLab purchased the code.

Currently BandLab recommends performing a full install of SONAR Platinum then install CbB.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, molly townsend said:

Hi, I bought Platinum a couple of years ago. ....Does anyone know:    Is the Bandlab version the same as the version that I bought

I think scook covered it. I will just add:

Cakewalk by BandLab is same as Sonar Platinum, EXCEPT that Cakewalk by BandLab is EVEN BETTER, because there are new features/improvements that have been added, and it appears that further development/support is now ongoing.

I kept using Platinum way too long (before switching to CbB) because I had presumed CbB was a "light" version of Cakewalk Sonar. I am extremely happy with  Cakewalk by Bandlab, because the DAW I know best is "alive and well". And the amount of excellent Youtube tutorials for Cakewalk by Bandlab is tremendous. Not to mention there is a plethora of older Cakewalk Sonar Youtube tutorials that are still relevant. 

• Like 2
  • Great Idea 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/20/2020 at 1:18 PM, scook said:

Currently BandLab recommends performing a full install of SONAR Platinum then install CbB.

Hi scook, I hope you're not mad at me :-).  I definitely should have looked before I posted my other question. Sorry again.

I installed CbB probably maybe over Platinum back when it came out, and it's been working well. On my new machine, however, I installed CbB fresh without Platinum, and now I'm spending a ton of time getting all the plug-ins set up. Is there any advantage to installing Platinum now retroactively? I've been pulling down plug ins from Dropbox and testing them one by one, most of them I don't really use, but I need half a dozen or so. I still have access to the old machine and am running CbB on it to compare how things are set up etc. Quite a slog.

Also, possibly should be a different post, but here goes: Dimension LE seems to not want to install at all. In the Vstplugins folder on my old machine it just has a single dll in the folder, but on the new machine, Scanning plug ins doesn't bring it up. Any idea why that would be?

52 minutes ago, jkoseattle said:

Also, possibly should be a different post, but here goes: Dimension LE seems to not want to install at all. In the Vstplugins folder on my old machine it just has a single dll in the folder, but on the new machine, Scanning plug ins doesn't bring it up. Any idea why that would be?

Dimension LE was bundled with Sonar 7 only, then replaced with Dimension Pro for Sonar 8 thru Platinum.

FYI, it is a 32-bit VST2. I can only see it being useful if you have old projects that include it. Dim Pro is better!

Not sure why it won't install, unless maybe the installer needs Sonar 7 installed first?

2 minutes ago, abacab said:

Dimension LE was bundled with Sonar 7 only, then replaced with Dimension Pro for Sonar 8 thru Platinum.

FYI, it is a 32-bit VST2. I can only see it being useful if you have old projects that include it. Dim Pro is better!

Not sure why it won't install, unless maybe the installer needs Sonar 7 installed first?

Yeah, you know I don't really need it, but my templates all use an organ sound from it for my vocal dummy tracks. I liked it because it took no time to load, but maybe not worth it. I found an organ in Square I that does the job. Save myself some headache, and who cares what my vocal dummy sounds like other than me?

36 minutes ago, Bristol_Jonesey said:

The best advice I would give is to uninstall everything

Then install Splat including all the goodies ,then install CbB

Splat will take a LOT longer for the full installation compared to CbB

OMG, say it isn't so...

OK, so here's my current status. 

• EW Play: Installed and mostly running
  • Strum Session - installed and running
  • Session Drummer - installed, copying over presets from old machine requiring Dropbox sync
  • TruePianos - Installed and running
  • Virtual Guitarist - Need to burn install CDs to thumb drive and install that way
  • Square I - installed and running
  • Voxengo SPAN - not started
  • Melodyne - not started
  • Everything else - will try to install if I need it at some point

So you can see most everything I need is done. I haven't gotten to SPAN yet because it's low priority, and I'm sort of scared to deal with Melodyne because something tells me it's not going to work and will be another big hassle.

So, being this far through the process, should I still reinstall Splat? Are there problems around the bend that I don't even know about yet based on how I'm doing it?

55 minutes ago, jkoseattle said:

I'm sort of scared to deal with Melodyne because something tells me it's not going to work and will be another big hassle.

i recently installed melodyne on a new laptop, but with issues due to it being an older version, and their customer support was top notch, all sorted within the day

1 hour ago, abacab said:

The advantage to DPLE at the time was a smaller memory footprint. Given the machines available when SONAR 7 was released this could have been important.

Like the full DP, DPLE is more than a single dll. While simple VST2 plug-ins may be installed using a copy process from one machine to then next, as a rule, if a plug-in has an installer it is best to use the installer. A simple copy process cannot add registry entries or provide other setup activities that may be performed by an installer. DPLE has numerous support files and registry entries so this would be a case where an advanced installed of a 64bit version of SONAR containing the plug-ins is the best solution.

It is possible to avoid the standing BandLab recommendations regarding SONAR installation prior to performing a CbB install...sure. It all depends on what the user expects to find after performing the CbB upgrade.

If it is ever necessary to actually install an older Cakewalk DAW after installing CbB, the old installer may overwrite some of the contents in the shared folders. If this happens it may be necessary to uninstall/reinstall CbB to get the latest shared files back. Not that big a deal but may be avoided with a little planning and careful building of a new install. This is why in other threads where user mentioned wanting to install things like V-Vocal - there is an order to the install process along with suggestions about the installation options to take.

• Thanks 1