UVI Synths Anthology 2

cclarry

(I think) The Arturia stuff is based more on 'modelling' whilst UVI is sample based.

Arturia GUI is about 1000% better (approximately)

I have the UVI vintage thing and Arturia v7 ....the arturia stuff is just more usable.

Arturia wins by a mile....just my opinion obviously

• Thanks 2

Just now, Mesh said:

Thanks gents!!

Yeah Simon, for a non-keyboard/synth guy, I found Arturia's synths were very user friendly and extremely easy to get good results.....yes, I'm a happy camper.  :)

if it helps - I have a bit of buyers remorse over the UVI purchase.  I always reach for Arturia first - if for no other reason than ease of use 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, aidan o driscoll said:

One could argue that the UVI synths Anthogogy has far more synths than Arturia .. that would be a reason to buy UVI also?

that's true - but the best value plugins are the ones you actually use :)

50 minutes ago, simon said:

if it helps - I have a bit of buyers remorse over the UVI purchase.  I always reach for Arturia first - if for no other reason than ease of use 

And I do exactly the opposite. Not that I have buyers remorse over Arturia V Collection, but it's always my second choice. But also having UVI Falcon, that might add to my equation.

4 hours ago, abacab said:

IK Syntronik for sampled synths +1.

I have UVI Digital Synsations, but I prefer the IK user interface over that of the UVI workstation.

I will have the Arturia modeled synth collection eventually... :)

I'm moving away from sampled synths.  I do like the Arturia stuff because they come with great presets.  Spire, Sylenth, Thorn, and Harmor don't require much disk space. The ones in the Kontakt factory get overlooked.

• Like 1

The modeled vs sampled discussion is something that can never really be resolved.  People should get what they want.

I have a template I will be working on forever where I put similar instruments and presets in folders.  The other day I put my favorite Keyscape Wurli patch in.  I then loaded the Arturia Wurli in.  Now the Arturia Wurli has tons of presets and most of them are very distorted or effect sounds.  The sampled Keyscape sounds incredible.  It sounds like a Wurli.  The Arturia Wurli sounds sort of Wurli-ish.  It is so unbelievably terrible next to Keyscape that it didn't make it into  my template.  Now somebody else can use those Wurl presets in Arturia and  enjoy them for what they are.  But they don't stand up to the samples in Keyscape.

I just got Modo Bass and think it is an incredible program.  But there is one bass in there that is a model of a Rickenbacker bass I owned for ten years.  And I'm sorry, but it's not good.  The Scarbee is better.  But that's not why you buy Modo Bass.  It gives you infinite options that no sampled bass gives you.

Also in my template is a folder with 80s chimey digital piano sounds.  I owned a DX7 for a long time and I like that stuff.  There's the great MKS-20 from Keyscape, a few select presets from UVI digital library, Synth Anthology has some of the best stuff in there because it has Kawaii K3, which is really different from everything else. But the Arturia DX7? Nothing that's good.  The free Dexed is SO much better.  Probably because freeware can emulate Yamaha tech with more freedom than Arturia can.   Maybe they have to make it a little more different because they're selling?  No idea.   Anyway, for the sound I was looking for, one of the most popular sounds in a decade,there should be a freaking good preset on a DX7 model.  Syntronik really blows almost everything away.  Because Syntronik has most of T-RackS and Amplitube built in and so the presets come loaded with some amazing effects. Syntronik takes this sound and makes something new with it.

One of the best DX7 libraries out there is  FM2, a free one on iOS.  I love that.

To me it comes down to what sounds you're looking for for the music you make.  Stack the sounds from sampled vs modeled in your DAW and pick what you like best.  The answer will change based on the sound you're looking for.  You may prefer a modeled piano to a sampled piano--a lot of people do. 

When it comes to synths it may help if you've actually owned the hardware.  For example, the Korg Collection M1 is to my ears the same as my M1.  I think they just took the brains of the M1 and put it into iM1.  So that's not modelling--it's Korg to Korg.  Anything in Arturia where they have a relationship with the original developer should be great.  But who really cares if a synth is "authentic" or not?  Having all the customizing options in Arturia may over-ride that.  Just as with Modo Bass or Modo Drums.

I think Synth Anthology II is awesome and I am very glad I bought it.  Its presets will find many, many spots in my template, because they have been curated as best of the best.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't think sampled vs modelled is really the question: theoretically, a perfectly modelled and configured instrument should be able to sound exactly like a sampled one if modelled accurately enough; it comes down to whether it was modelled well enough (and also there are also constraints such as CPU usage, etc). But I think Reid is right - each instrument regardless of technology has its own unique sound and its suitability all depends on what someone's after.

2 hours ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

Thanks for expressing perfectly everything I wanted to say in one sentence.  😀

Why did I write all that stuff? 

It's amazing how all the synth "experts" over at the KVR instruments forum dismiss sampled synths.

They ignore the sound possibilities, and just focus on the knobs and ultimate tweakability, lol! :D