Recording Level is extremely low when playing tracks

Mark Purdy

I am using the latest update of Cakewalk. I'm just using the standard downloaded version with no extra plugins and just using a normal headset w/ mic. I'm attempting to do vocal recording from the headset mic on one track while listening to the other tracks. Previously, I had no troubles with this at all. It worked great. Now, I'm having troubles. The recording level drops to nearly nothing if I don't mute all of the other tracks. If I record with all other tracks muted, the recording level is fine. As soon as I try it with even 1 track unmuted, the level drops. The waveform is nearly flat. If I listen to the recording, it is inaudible unless i pump my volume all the way up and hear it very faintly. The levels look good before clicking the Record button.  I can provide any information you need. Thanks!

Hi Mark and welcome to the Cakewalk forums.

It sounds like you are using an internal sound card, e.g. soundblaster.  Unfortnuately, internal sound cards at this level (meaning quality) do not work well when working with CbB (Cakewalk by BandLab).  Please let us know more about your system (DAW) setup.  For instance, are you using a desktop or laptop, what type of sound card/audio interface are you using, what driver mode are you using, how is your headset connected to your PC.

Kind regards,

tecknot

Edited by tecknot

tecknot,

Thanks for the quick reply. I am using a ThinkPad T580 laptop with its internal sound card (RealTek High Definition Audio). My headset is plugged in through the headset jack on the laptop.

I have the driver mode set to WASAPI Shared. My headset is plugged in through the headset jack on the laptop.

This is a new laptop. I previously used CbB in the exact same way on ThinkPad E560 and it worked without any problem and it used the same drivers and sound card. I'll see if I can use that one again to see if it has any issue with it now. 

CORRECTION: My older laptop had Conexant hardware and it still works fine. So, perhaps its the RealTek that is the issue.

Mark

Edited by Mark Purdy

2 hours ago, Mark Purdy said:

I think I may have fixed this by changing the Driver Mode to MME. It seems to be working now.

That's great, but you really should consider getting a USB audio interface to do that sort of thing, one that is ASIO (NOT ASIO4ALL) capable. It really does make a big difference.

Use whatever driver works. Does your headset have a battery? The obvious implication is that power for driving the speakers and the preamp for the Mic might be insufficient. Does it work better if you plug in the laptop?

I used to record using a laptop internal soundcard with a preamp. You can get a single channel preamp for around $40 usd. 

3 hours ago, Gswitz said:

.... You can get a single channel preamp for around $40 usd. 

True, but why get a decent mic-pre, only to plug it into a cheap laptop sound chip?  For about the same price, the  better option is a single channel USB audio interface (with a decent mic pre built in).

For example, the Behringer UM2 is $48.  It uses the ASIO4all driver, but it's designed as an audio interface, so performance is way better than any onboard sound chip.

Edited by JonD
  • Like 1