How do I get my MIDI .cwp project into another DAW?

Musicianaire

I want to send a couple of my original MIDI creations to a guy who runs a studio, but he uses a different DAW.  Every MIDI song I've made is a .cwp file, and when I try to save as either format 0 or format 1, both formats lose all the CC and program change setups for the song.

How do I send these songs to the studio guy?

Would it be possible for you to upload the files here so we could take a look at them? Both the cwp. and mid. files?

The MIDI format 1 - format 0 will put everything on one track.

Edited by Chappel
Clarification
  • Great Idea 1

For the last 20 years, I have always sent project files as saved MIDI files (type 0 and 1) to my clients.  Never once has this resulted in lost CCs in the MIDI files.  The MIDI files my clients receive always have the CCs and all sysex intact.

This has been the case from Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 all the way to the current Cakewalk by Bandlab 2020.1 Build 28.

Are you sure the actual CC data is missing or could this be a case of the CC data not being recognised by the person's equipment?

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Musicianaire said:

When save it, I reopen it to check, and the CCs are gone.

That has never happened to me. 

Even if you originally used an automation lane to enter the MIDI events, the resultant MIDI will still have them in the file.

If you open the MIDI file, the CC events would now be visible in the Piano Roll View or Event list view.  The CC events would no longer appear in an Automation lane.

9 hours ago, Promidi said:

That has never happened to me. 

Even if you originally used an automation lane to enter the MIDI events, the resultant MIDI will still have them in the file.

If you open the MIDI file, the CC events would now be visible in the Piano Roll View or Event list view.  The CC events would no longer appear in an Automation lane.

Yeah I was surprised to see it happen myself.  Trying to figure out the cause.  But I've had a few different strange things happen with Cakewalk in the past.  Bandlab fixed them, though, and now this comes up. lol.  I'll post back when I figure out the fix. 👍

2 hours ago, Musicianaire said:

I've always worked with the Event List, inputting all CCs and such in there.

Then the CC events will be in the saved MIDI files. Even if I wanted to, I cannot deliberately make Cakewalk strip the CC events on save to MIDI file.  It just never happens.  Maybe you are in a parallel universe where the normal rules of physics do not apply.....

Can you create a file with CC events in and save as a MIDI file and then attach it so I can have a look at what you end up with?

• Great Idea 1