Forum Request: Add Translate Button

Jim Fogle

I recently saw a thread where the forum member posted in another language.  One of the responses was (paraphrase) "Post in English".

Cakewalk by BandLab is part of BandLab Technologies which is an international community with staff located across the globe.  As the program gains a user base around the globe there will be more and more instances of forum members posting in a language beside English.

I believe it is important for all BandLab and Cakewalk by BandLab users to feel comfortable, welcome and appreciated as forum members.  The forum is the best way for program users to provide feedback and allow the program to grow.

One way the forum can be more user friendly is to add a "Translate" button to the menu at the top of the response window.  The "Translate" button would open a Google Translate window.  The "Translate" button should automatically sense the computer operating system language and be able to translate from the operating system language into English.  When the "Enter" key is pressed on the computer keyboard the original message and translated message are posted.

This provides every forum user an easy way to post their message in a format that will be easy for all forum members to read.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

14 hours ago, Jim Fogle said:

The "Translate" button would open a Google Translate window. 

44 minutes ago, chuckebaby said:

If users want help they should also depend on a translator for their personal posts and responses.

I usually use another browser, but for the past week or so I have been using chrome. Each time I went to a post on a page with comments in non-English, chrome asked me if I wanted to translate it.  It was seamless and much easier than cutting-and-pasting the post into a Google Translate web page which has a size limit.

Just a suggestion that seems to work on my PC.

If I wrote in another language I would test this feature as a writer.

4 hours ago, User 905133 said:

for the past week or so I have been using chrome. Each time I went to a post on a page with comments in non-English, chrome asked me if I wanted to translate it. 

you need to have Google translator installed. By default my version of Google chrome doesn't come with translator installed.

(I'm using Google Chrome Version 80.0.3987.116) you need to go to Extensions/Add new extensions and go to Google extension store to install add ons.

So as much as i would like to see a built in translator for this site, i'm not sure a button to open Google translator will work unless its installed.

29 minutes ago, chuckebaby said:

you need to have Google translator installed. By default my version of Google chrome doesn't come with translator installed.

(I'm using Google Chrome Version 80.0.3987.116) you need to go to Extensions/Add new extensions and go to Google extension store to install add ons.

So as much as i would like to see a built in translator for this site, i'm not sure a button to open Google translator will work unless its installed.

You could be right; until recently, I almost never used chrome.  I checked extensions, and I don't have a translator extension. Also, I discovered after people started typing in brief non-English sentences and phrases above, I did not get the automatic pop-up asking if I wanted it translated.  It did, however,  every time I went to the page with the huge block of non-English text.

So maybe its not a Google chrome extension, but maybe some algorithmic automatic detection thing that offers to translate sites when there is a high percentage of non-native text as determined by some mysterious Google programming.  Or maybe its not Google that's monitoring my browsing activity?  😛

image.png.1cf3229ea1ffe48bf12293ecd0c5c1d6.png

Edited by User 905133
to add an image of the translation pop-up
  • Like 1

On 2/20/2020 at 12:49 PM, Milton Sica said:

Não tenho problemas nenhum de tradução. Minha língua mãe é o Português do Brasil. Utilizo o tradutor on line do Google Chorme.

Per Google Translate Milton said:

I have no translation problems. My mother language is Brazilian Portuguese. I use the Google Chorme online translator.

Firefox offers multiple translate plugin extensions.  I downloaded the recommended extension but haven't tried it yet.  The recommended extension automatically sends highlighted text to Google Translate.  Look close and be careful as a few of the extensions have negative reviews.

Clipboard37

Edited by Jim Fogle
Add Firefox Translate Extension location screen shot

Regardless if I can understand what the OP has asked - all languages should be welcome. A reader has the tools to respond should they choose - the writer has the tools to post in whatever language might get the most  - or most significant response.

Edited by RBH
  • Like 2

On 2/20/2020 at 6:27 AM, RobertWS said:

I think that's a great idea.   I have no problem with some one not learning English. 

My attempt to learn French years ago was....tres mal.  🥴

I'm french and I know it is easier for us to learn english than you to learn french 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/20/2020 at 5:22 PM, chuckebaby said:

Google Translate is also a webpage.    I envisioned my suggestion as a link that opens a new webpage to the Google Translate webpage

• Like 1

I think having a translate button on the reply window menu is a great way to indicate this forum welcomes all users of Cakewalk by Bandlab and BandLab to the forum.  The Google Translate webpage settings recognize the computer operating system keyboard selection and takes an educated guess of text language pasted into the translate box.  It is also possible to use an intermediate translation if needed.