New Build-amd

StarTekh

Gigabyte : AMD TRX40 DESIGNARE Motherboard with Direct 16+3 Phases Infineon Digital VRM, Fins-Array Heatsink, Dual Intel LAN, 4 PCIe 4.0 M.2 with Thermal Guards, Bundled GC-Titan Ridge Add-In Card and AORUS Gen4 AIC Adaptor, Intel® WiFi 6 802.11ax,120dB SNR AMP-UP Audio

Is anyone running this Build !

7 hours ago, StarTekh said:

Gigabyte : AMD TRX40 DESIGNARE Motherboard with Direct 16+3 Phases Infineon Digital VRM, Fins-Array Heatsink, Dual Intel LAN, 4 PCIe 4.0 M.2 with Thermal Guards, Bundled GC-Titan Ridge Add-In Card and AORUS Gen4 AIC Adaptor, Intel® WiFi 6 802.11ax,120dB SNR AMP-UP Audio

Is anyone running this Build !

Close. I have the Gigabyte  X399 DESIGNARE EX. FANTASTIC board. The only thing is that AMD-based motherboards do not seem to support  Thunderbolt 3, and you cannot add anything to add it, and Thunderbolt 3 audio interfaces are insanely fast, at up to 40 gigabits/sec transfer supported by the protocol. When last I looked, only Intel motherboards had the potential for Thunderbolt 3.

Bob Bone

3 hours ago, Robert Bone said:

....The only thing is that AMD-based motherboards do not seem to support  Thunderbolt 3, and you cannot add anything to add it...

Things have changed recently:

I am putting the finishing touches on my AMD build.  It's a Ryzen 3950X (16-core) on an ASRock X570 Creator motherboard. This Creator motherboard has *native* Thunderbolt-3 and is unique in that regard among the X570 chipset boards.   I had also ordered and returned the ASRock X570 Taichi board. That one uses an Add-In-Card for Thunderbolt, and provides the necessary header.

Among the Threadripper TRX40 chipset boards, the Gigabyte Designare is the one that offers support for a Thunderbolt-3  Add-In-Card, as @StarTekh shows in his post .

These three boards are ones that I had considered before landing where I am. There may be others, but I don't have any other info to offer.

Also, keep in mind that Thunderbolt-3's advantage for audio is in the low latency of the PCIe/Thunderbolt protocol, not in its bandwidth.  Tbolt-1,2,3 all have the same latency potency, and nothing in the track count of an audio interface challenges the bandwidth of Tbolt-1 .  (At 96k/24bit it would take over 4000 channels to fill 10Gbits/sec. )  Thunderbolt shines in its flexibility of usage for audio interfaces, SSD's, and displays.  On a side note, the DisplayPort protocol is fenced off in Tbolt-2 and Tbolt-3, so the data transfer capability for PCIe traffic like SSD is 11Gbits in Tbolt-2 and 22Gbits in Tbolt-3.  That's why you see a ceiling of around 2800MBytes/sec for M.2 SSD's attached via Tbolt-3.  

Edited by MediaGary
added attribution
  • Like 1

I wonder what the certification means as a practical/operational matter.  For example:

• some things will hot plug and some won't in the non-certified implementations
  • works in Windows but has hackintosh limitations for the non-certified
  •  some kind of per-board-manufactured fee must be paid to Intel despite the new royalty-free status
  • all USB and SSD peripheral stuff works, but DisplayPort stuff doesn't work 

Any ideas about the differences? 

Support for 6 devices for starters   .. here a list of X570's  issues :

AM4 : AMD X570

*1: Only three TB3 devices can be detected.
*2 : Some USB 3.2 Type-C devices will cause system reboot after wake up from S3/S4.
*3 : Cannot light up the TB3 monitor after wake up from S3/S4, re-plug the cable is needed.
*4 : Does not support Thunderbolt 3 PCIe graphics card box

X570 Taichi (ATX)

X570 Extreme4 WiFi ax (ATX)

X570 Extreme4 (ATX)

X570 Phantom Gaming X (ATX)

X570 Steel Legend (ATX)

X570 Steel Legend WiFi ax (ATX)