jkoseattle

Surface Pro latency

Question

I'm trying to move my whole DAW system to a new Surface Pro 7. I've attached my piano via USB to the Surface Dock, and immediately got big time recordingh latency. I thought maybe it was because the piano is plugged into a Surface Dock thing, but when unplugging from the dock, playback is very latent too playing General Midi. So thankfully the Dock is not related.

I know this is an old support chestnut, but latency is so tricky, and once it's working I forget all about how to fix it because I don't need to look at it again for like years. So... what do I need to look at again here? I did change the audio driver mode to ASIO just because I remember that before. No improvement. Help!

1 answer to this question

On 2/19/2020 at 11:30 PM, jkoseattle said:

I'm trying to move my whole DAW system to a new Surface Pro 7. I've attached my piano via USB to the Surface Dock, and immediately got big time recordingh latency. I thought maybe it was because the piano is plugged into a Surface Dock thing, but when unplugging from the dock, playback is very latent too playing General Midi. So thankfully the Dock is not related.

I know this is an old support chestnut, but latency is so tricky, and once it's working I forget all about how to fix it because I don't need to look at it again for like years. So... what do I need to look at again here? I did change the audio driver mode to ASIO just because I remember that before. No improvement. Help!

I am on Surface i7 too,  Asio or wsapi ( that one) do work ,in asio close all connections you are not using ,

turn the slider to zero ,let it settle ,10 sec. and try, then raise  one step at a time, note each improvement

you should be on zero with one midi signal,,