Move Tool Problem.

Michael Warren

Question

Started today. In prv view, I select my track, then use the select tool to choose notes I’m going to move. Next I select move tool using T shortcut. I move the selected passage, close prv window and find that all my tracks, beside the one selected have also had their contents moved. I undid the action, double checked which track was selected and went through the same move process I described. Again, all tracks contents from my selection in the target track moved. Restarting Cakewalk solved the problem (for now). Was I using the wrong tool (Select) to select notes to move? Is there another way I should be doing this?

8 answers to this question

I'm always wary of Link clips but with such erratic behavior that's a possibility that I haven't checked yet. I usually always check for that but there's always the possibility of brain fog after working hours trying to clean stuff up. Thanks I'll get back to you tomorrow when I try it probably about 3 a.m. in the morning.

I don't know if it's  a way you should be doing that, but you can do all that with just the smart tool. Right-click and drag with the smart tool to select the notes you want to move, and then hover the cursor over one of the notes to get the icon with the 4 arrows. When you see that icon click and drag the notes to where you want.

Are you sure the data wasn't just in another lane?

MIDI tracks, unlike audio tracks, don't "merge" the events from multiple lanes in their comp track.

Why it decided to paste it into another lane is another question though... although it could be related to paste special settings.

23 hours ago, Michael Warren said:

Started today. In prv view, I select my track, then use the select tool to choose notes I’m going to move. Next I select move tool using T shortcut. I move the selected passage, close prv window and find that all my tracks, beside the one selected have also had their contents moved. I undid the action, double checked which track was selected and went through the same move process I described. Again, all tracks contents from my selection in the target track moved. Restarting Cakewalk solved the problem (for now). Was I using the wrong tool (Select) to select notes to move? Is there another way I should be doing this?

Make sure only the tracks and notes you want to move are selected. It is easy to select everything by accident in cakewalk. Make it a habit to deselect the groups you have highlighted to move, by clicking on an open space on the edited window. Always ride that mental note of every move you make when doing something, with the old habit of Ctrl + S "save copy"muscle memory.