Some MIDI related issues

kevmsmith81

I'm having an issue I can only describe as strange and I'm wondering if anyone can help.

I created a MIDI track using a different app when messing about on my lunch break, and was happy enough with how it turned out that I thought I'd import the midi data into Cakewalk and getting it sounding good using some of the instruments at my disposal (as it was done using an app on my phone).

What I have always done is import the midi file as a whole into Cakewalk, and then open a new project, load up the VSTi's I want to use and then paste it in from the midi file, one midi track at a time. 

However, when doing this, some instruments simply won't play any notes, as if there's nothing there, but some will happily play the midi data.

For example, Cakewalk Sound Center is quite happy to play the sounds, but Air Xpand! won't.  I can play a key in the piano roll in Xpand! and it will sound, but when trying to get it to play the midi data I've exported, it stays silent even though there are notes clearly showing in the piano roll.

I wonder if anybody has had a similar issue and been able to resolve it?   I can't see any good reason why some VSTi's won't play the sound!

Edited by kevmsmith81

15 minutes ago, tecknot said:

Could it be that your MIDI notes are out of range of Xpand!?

Kind regards,

tecknot

It's not that - I can play the notes which are showing on the piano roll and they make a sound.  But when I try to play the track I've pasted in, nothing happens.

And it's not only Xpand I'm seeing this happen with.  Another example is a soundfont player I use, same thing happens.

It's really baffling!

When you say "I can play the notes which are showing on the piano roll and they make a sound", do you mean on a hardware controller,  on the PRV keyboard, or by clicking the notes in the PRV?

Other possibilities:

- Clips muted

- Notes muted

- MIDI channel mismatch

- Instrument attack too slow for duration of MIDI notes.

- Instrument's velocity response curve requires a high minimum velocity to be heard.

- Wayward controllers silencing the synth.

- MIDI Prepare Using buffer too low.

Edited by David Baay

2 hours ago, Promidi said:

Instead of importing the midi file - try opening it directly into Cakewalk instead...

That's fine, and I can do that.  But unless I'm mistaken, there's no way of then assigning a different soft synth to the individual tracks.  If there is, please let me know, as I've tried and haven't been able to figure it out.

14 hours ago, tecknot said:

The only other things I can think of is that perhaps the output from your instrument/soft synth is not directed to an output (or a muted output) or input echo is turned off.

Kind regards,

tecknot

It can't be this as far as I can tell, as I can play notes on it, either using the on-screen keyboard or using a physical keyboard.  It just won't play the notes imported into the piano roll from the midi track.

14 hours ago, David Baay said:

When you say "I can play the notes which are showing on the piano roll and they make a sound", do you mean on a hardware controller,  on the PRV keyboard, or by clicking the notes in the PRV?

Other possibilities:

- Clips muted

- Notes muted

- MIDI channel mismatch

- Instrument attack too slow for duration of MIDI notes.

- Instrument's velocity response curve requires a high minimum velocity to be heard.

- Wayward controllers silencing the synth.

- MIDI Prepare Using buffer too low.

This does give me some things to try, so thank you.  I'll have to check these all out.

I'm not sure the clips are muted, as I can assign Cakewalk Sound Center, and some other Synths and the track will play, but other VSTi's won't play if I assign those to the track.  But the other things I will check, so thank you.