Midi notes being triggered by menu items?

David Riley

I'm hoping someone can help me.  Whenever I use this version of Cakewalk when I click on any interface items (ie mute, solo, record, playback etc.) it triggers a midi note on my keyboard.  Even when the software loads it triggers a midi note out to the keyboard.  This is highly annoying obviously.  I don't know whether something is set wrong in the software or not, but I can't figure it out.  This does not happen if I use my old version of Sonar X3, so I'm pretty sure it's the software. 

I'm running my midi from my pc to a Midiman Midisport 4x4 (connected via USB) and from there into my Roland XP-80 (among other devices).  This only happens with the Bandworks version of Cakewalk.  It doesn't happen with Sonar XE or Ableton Live 9.  I find it odd that just loading the software alone would send a midi note out.  And then anything I click on the interface sends different midi notes out.  I looked through all the midi settings to see if something "logically" made sense but nothing is standing out.  Any ideas?  

I would not have thought that the fact that you're running Windows 7 is the issue.  Upgrading to 10 just to see if this will resolve is a big step - especially if it does not resolve the issue.  Mind you, there are other positive reasons to upgrade to Windows 10 (fresh install of course).  However, that's a discussion for another day.

I never had this issue when I was running Windows 7 64bit either.  I use an external MIDI module so I would have heard notes if this issue occurred here too.

To me, this looks like a specific issue with the Midiman Midisport 4x4 itself (Are you sure you're using the latest drivers from the manufacturer's website) - even though it only manifests in CbB. 

Notes should not be triggered when CbB starts.  The only MIDI data that may possibly be sent on start up would be sysex data.  This would be configured with the Sysex view.  In fact, on your start startup template, check the sysex view (ALT+SIFT 7) to make sure no sysex banks are set to AUTO transmit.  I am doubting it this though because you also say that you are getting note on data sent when you solo/mute/record/playback tracks.  That is really strange and something I have never seen in the twenty years I have been using Cakewalk products.

Are you able to configure the Roland XP-80 (or any of your other devices) to show you the specific values being sent through the MIDI ports?

It also might be worth dropping a note to Bandab Support to see if they can offer some insight.

https://help.cakewalk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new  

I had a similar problem. Had to do a factory reset on the interface and disable "Receive MIDI Controller Data." Yours may not be that EXACT problem, but I suspect a Global setting on the MIDIMan may be the issue.

If you can borrow someone else's interface, you could verify if Cakewalk is the culprit. Or try a soft synth, one that uses SoundFonts. Not sure on that one. Just throwing out ideas.

Promidi, first off thanks very much for trying to help me through this logjam.  Much appreciated!

The Midiman driver is the most recent, and just to be sure I re-downloaded it and reinstalled it.  But no change to my issues.

I then looked at the sysex data you mentioned, and no nothing is on autosend.

So then for grins (and it has nothing to do with the midi function), I changed the audio driver to a different driver and the problem went away.  So then I changed it BACK to Asio and the problem still went away.  So to me that's a bug...because I can't think of a good reason why changing the audio driver would effect a midi out signal being sent to my keyboard!

Anyway, long story short I "think" I stumbled on a solution inadvertently.  Hopefully it sticks.