Waiting for Daylight

Keith Wilby

Another from my 90s archive using my SQ-16 as the backing and a live vocal straight to tape (there's even some static over the intro).

This light-hearted song sees our protagonist unable to sleep on a stormy night because every noise they hear in their old creaky house seems sinister.

You should be able to make out most of the words, but the falsetto bit at the end of the first chorus is "do you feel the bogey men in home?" :)

The "don't have nightmares" at the end will be familiar to British viewers of "Crimewatch UK" as the sign-off catchphrase of the presenter.

https://www.bandlab.com/wilbyforce/waitingfordaylight-f06360da?revId=db13aeb4-6a52-ea11-a94c-0003ff121727

Hey Keith,

I’ve come to really enjoy these pieces from the “vault”. Always find your use of effects interesting as they aren’t just static, so you must of been working the effects as you “worked” the mic. At that same time Cakewalk was controlling my synths and effects as well as the sequencing, and syncing to my Tascam 688. Anyway, well done. Are you re-mastering these in CbB?’ Maybe you should describe your effects chain for that, I think a few of us would find that interesting. 

t

• Like 1

Back then I didn't even have a computer, let alone Cakewalk :)

Yes, I applied the effects as I sang. I had an Elisis (?) digital reverb and a stage mic, that was it. I had no compressor so I would distance myself from the mic depending on how loud I was singing for each line.

The only mastering I've done is using the stock Bandlab free online service. I've tried my own mastering using CbB but with rather unpleasing results - I don't really know what I'm doing to be honest.

• Like 1