Introducing triad pairs on Guitar

kennywtelejazz

There are some very hip sounds here ...great thing is the guitar lends itself to simple triads which can be superimposed over much more complex harmonic structures .

Even thought I have know about this and been doing this for years , this little video here has blown me out of the water with how far he took the concept in such a short time .

For the record I have no affiliation w the author ...I do like his work and I have purchased one of his tutorials for 4 bucks ...best 4 bucks I have spent in a long time ...

I'm posting this because I got a lot out of watching this video and practicing along a few of the sections ...

the main thing here is I hope some one here digs the playing and they nick some of the lesson .

Kenny

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

One little trick on piano is to  take the 5th note of any chord. Now play a chord in the same key based on that note and superimpose it over the other chord. If playing C, also play G. If playing Bb, also play F. Instant jazz. Works on any chord not just the majors. Add 7ths or 9ths for spice.  I'm sure it works for guitar too if you can get the fingerings.

4 hours ago, Starise said:

One little trick on piano is to  take the 5th note of any chord. Now play a chord in the same key based on that note and superimpose it over the other chord. If playing C, also play G. If playing Bb, also play F. Instant jazz. Works on any chord not just the majors. Add 7ths or 9ths for spice.  I'm sure it works for guitar too if you can get the fingerings.

This is my new, dystopic  snoopy theme based on maj 2nds (caveat, the rhythm is wack)

https://davidsprouse.bandcamp.com/track/last-rays-of-ancient-sunlight

Edited by David Sprouse
  • Like 1

Check out any of his videos. Click the link below. 

Just listening to the material he presents in helpful and good ear training for future reference 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqimxUbWsE26KSpx2_OcmmA

I almost forgot 

PLEASE check out the John Coltrane Pentatonic video!  I've charted  out the scale before long ago  but he gives examples on what it sounds like etc

Edited by bayoubill

On 2/17/2020 at 5:35 PM, craigb said:

That's the fun of music, always something new to learn! 🙂

Yes !

On 2/17/2020 at 5:40 PM, InstrEd said:

So true!

+1

On 2/17/2020 at 6:57 PM, Gswitz said:

Ty

your welcome!

On 2/18/2020 at 6:05 AM, Mesh said:

Thanks Kenny, very useful indeed!!

I'm so  glad we can have something to work on that helps our guitar playing and music .

On 2/18/2020 at 8:16 AM, Starise said:

Yes I have done  that ...the G major triad gives you the 5 th , Major 7th and the 9 th when played over C Major ....your post is on topic

On 2/18/2020 at 10:06 AM, David Sprouse said:

This is my new, dystopic  snoopy theme based on maj 2nds (caveat, the rhythm is wack)

https://davidsprouse.bandcamp.com/track/last-rays-of-ancient-sunlight

Hey thanks David .

On 2/18/2020 at 10:26 AM, bayoubill said:

Check out any of his videos. Click the link below. 

Just listening to the material he presents in helpful and good ear training for future reference 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqimxUbWsE26KSpx2_OcmmA

I almost forgot 

PLEASE check out the John Coltrane Pentatonic video!  I've charted  out the scale before long ago  but he gives examples on what it sounds like etc

Yes he is very good teacher plus  he is what I call an excellent online resource . He presents his material in a logical way that features an uncanny ability to take very complicated  sounding  musical examples  and simplify them   ...he has been bookmarked over here ...

BTW I did buy his Coltrane  a few days before I posted some of his material here .....The best under a five  bucks I ever spent .

On 2/18/2020 at 11:55 AM, Starise said:

I'm ok with jazz as long as I don't need to understand it. Some of it seems to have that feeling you get right before a woof. Woozy like take me off the merry go round. Takes an adjustment to really appreciate.

Like this-

sauce.png

Did somebody say WOOF ?

22 hours ago, bayoubill said:

CmM6 = F9 = Am7b5 = EbM6#11 = B7alt

Thank you Professor !

9 hours ago, Starise said:

funny-jazz-quotes-by-bill-bailey-1057405.jpg

This is why little children are afraid of Jazz !

I'll be back

Kenny

Edited by kennywtelejazz

9 hours ago, Starise said:

funny-picturs-einstein-vs-frankenstein.jpg

Love it !

9 hours ago, craigb said:

Interlude over!  Keep 'em coming Kenny!  😉👍

I got to see the original line up for the Tobacco Road Tour and recording when  I was a young  concert goer  ..

seeing Edgar , Johnny , Ric Derringer , Dan Hartman  and friends perform  Frankenstein  has left a lasting memory   ..What a concert ......

5 hours ago, Starise said:

Oh great. Now I can't get the tune out of my head.

Kenny can you play some jazz for us? Pleeeeeeeeez

LOL I keep wishing I can get that tune under my fingers ...truth is I need to put in the time to make that happen ...

FWIW I did sit down and considered making a video of me playing  some  Jazz guitar today while using some of this lesson as a starting off point ...

I had gotten side tracked and dug what I was playing on the guitar  ...so I never even set up the video stuff ...its all good though I need a little time to ferment the chops ...

also I wound up learning and playing everything In the video Mesh posted ....that video has some super great playing concepts ....

I love that fellas u tube channel. I've been trying to learn all this stuff my whole life and then boom it all come in a flash because of his videos ....

5 hours ago, Mesh said:

Love it Mesh ! Great find ....I've been working on these musical examples a good part of my day ...

thank you for adding this video .

Kenny

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kennywtelejazz said:

I got to see the original line up for the Tobacco Road Tour and recording when  I was a young  concert goer  ..

seeing Edgar , Johnny , Ric Derringer , Dan Hartman  and friends perform  Frankenstein  has left a lasting memory   ..What a concert ......

NICE!  

I made the conscious choice when I was young to spend my money on albums I could play over and over (remember, I'm a logical nerd! 🤓) instead of the brief experience of a concert.  Although probably the correct choice for me at the time, I can definitely look back and regret not being able to see some of the greats on stage...  Oh well!

3 hours ago, craigb said:

NICE!  

I made the conscious choice when I was young to spend my money on albums I could play over and over (remember, I'm a logical nerd! 🤓) instead of the brief experience of a concert.  Although probably the correct choice for me at the time, I can definitely look back and regret not being able to see some of the greats on stage...  Oh well!

I may be a few years older than you and I mean no disrespect by  bringing  that up because back in my day all the musicians and friends I had would listen to music together as a group of people sharing the whole experience together . It was very rare someone would listen to music by themselves unless they were trying to copy what was on the record or learn something for a gig . 

It usually went some thing like this . The second someone bought a new record there would be 8 or 9 of us  crowded into a small space listening to the NEW  music together ...

The same thing happened for equipment .  When somebody bought a new guitar, amp or pedal it was the same thing 🥳 8 or 9 grimy sweaty paws looking to coop a feel on the new guitar ...amp or pedal .

I do feel lucky I have seen the musicians I have seen ...I won't drop names yet I will say that Paul Kossoff left a lasting impression on me since back then ...
I can still close my eyes and see and hear him in my minds eye ...man when that guy bent a note and put some vibrato on it he really got me on a core level ...

tone to the bone

in any event I have seen  and heard just about everybody I wanted to see ...

in a lot of cases I met and hung out with many of them too ....the old guard not the new guys ....the new guys are too stuck up lol come and get you some J B ..I'm ready for you are you ready for me ? ..lol

Kenny

Edited by kennywtelejazz

We did the group thing too, but it was usually me buying the new album (with most of my friends going to the concerts without me).  I used to make all my friends mix-tapes for Christmas (even before I was a DJ and that was from late '79 through late '83).  It was just how I chose to use the money I had.

As for gear, the keyboardist we knew had EVERYTHING!  Turns out he and his Mom ended up getting arrested for insurance fraud after they had yet another break-in and one of the things stolen wasn't even out yet...  LOL.