Instrument Channels - Do Not Save

ddixon

Using Version 2019.01 (Build 24, 64bit), I noticed when I create an Instrument Track, select an instrument like SI-Bass Guitar (or any other instrument), during the active session ,I can address the track in the normal manner and use it successfully.   After I save he same project then reopen the same project, the Instrument track Is avaliable but the instrument is no longer avaliable in the track.

Is there a work-around to this behavior?

Running as administrator is not required. The only reason I can think of for running CbB as administrator is old 3rd party plug-ins that write to privileged areas of the registry or hard drive. SI-Bass is not one of these plug-in.

I am not sure what this means

59 minutes ago, ddixon said:

the Instrument track Is avaliable but the instrument is no longer avaliable in the track.

Is this a question about how to display the plug-in UI? Or the the plug-in actually missing from the project? IOW, the plug-in is not listed in the synth rack.

• Like 1

thanks for the reply scook, 

The plug-in is there, when it is used in a track in Track View,  and it works well when it is added to a track.  the issue is  that when the project is saved and then reopened the plug-in is no longer inserted in the track, its still there and I can re-insert the plug-in but it is simply not saving that edit.

I've added a Step Recording of the steps I'm taking to the thread for your

However , to repro just follow these steps

1. Open Track View
  2. Right mouse click in the track area
  3. Select "Insert Instrument" from the pop-up dialog (note the icon looks like a piano keyboard)
    • Choose an Instrument from the dialog
    • then click the  "Create" button
  4. The new track should have a piano icon instead of the MIDI icon
  5. double click on the small icon will open the instrument interface
  6. Close the instrument
  7. Save the file
  8. Re-open the same file
  9. Note the Instrument track now has a MIDI icon and not a piano icon  and the instrument will have to be added to the track or to a new track.

It looks like it is not saving the track with the instrument data as required.  If your repro is not the same as mine I may have to uninstall/re-install the application.

StepRecorded- Instruments Not Saved.zip

I too created  a new project using Basic Lens,  added the instrument track, success, the problem did not occur after save.

Created another new project , imported suspect MIDI file into new project,  added instrument track , successfully save and opened

Strange... possibly some file corruptions , will have to test a few more files hopefully its only a few with the issue since I have thousands of MIDI files :)

Well , thanks for the assistance scook, at least I know I an generate a new project and not get the issue.

After thinking about this a little more, I believe I know what happened. The MIDI file was saved instead of saving as a Cakewalk project. The start screen at step 24 shows the most recent project was Seals_And_Crofts_Summer_Breeze.mid. Had the project been saved as a Cakewalk project, the start screen would have an image of the project and the file name would be Seals_And_Crofts_Summer_Breeze.cwp.

MIDI files cannot save the audio portion of an instrument track, audio tracks or soft synth assignments because these are not MIDI data.

The critical difference in my test is it starts with a cakewalk project instead of opening a MIDI file. Save writes out the data based on what file type was opened. When opening a MIDI file, save writes out a MIDI file, "Save As" lets one select the file type. After adding non-MIDI data to the opened MIDI file, it must be saved as a Cakewalk project so that the non-MIDI data is saved.

This is an  easy mistake to make and is compounded by the fact that MIDI song files must be opened instead of imported into a project in order to preserve tempo data.