Fit improvisation not working

Paul DeRocco

I have one MIDI track recorded with lots of tempo changes, but with the meteronome set to 120bpm throughout. I created a second MIDI track and manually inserted a note on every beat in the music. Each track starts at 1:01:000, contains a single clip, and is the same length. I select the second track, and invoke Process->Fit improvisation. Nothing happens, no momentary UI freeze, no change to either track, no popup message. I think I'm following the directions to the letter, except that I didn't "record" the second track from the keyboard, but its event list is just a big long list of Note events and nothing else. What could I be doing wrong?

Fit Improv doesnt require a lot of complex computation, so it can happen almost invisibly, except that you should see some movement of the clip length against the timeline.

Check Views > Tempo to see if tempo changes have been inserted.

Edited by David Baay

No, there are none. It would be really obvious if it had done anything, even if it only took a millisecond: all the notes would have moved so that they're aligned with the bars and beats.

I've attached a short project containing an eight bar intro with lots of pauses in it. It's got two MIDI tracks, the music and the reference. I've stripped out the initial program change, but a piano sound would be a reasonable choice, and the only controller in it is the sustain switch. I'd appreciate it if someone could load this and see if Fit Improv works, or if there's some obvious reason why it shouldn't.

FitImprovTest.zip

Looks like the problem is a misplaced guide note for 7:2. It's so close to 7:1 that the effective tempo for that beat is about 960bpm. Set Measure/Beat At Now can handle it, but I think Fit Improv is confused.

EDIT:  Actually, there are four 'dupe' notes on beats 7:01 through 7:04, and the two at 7:01 are on the same tick, which is probably what really caused  Fit Improv to choke. Removing all four dupes allows Fit Improv to run successfully.

Edited by David Baay
  • Like 1

Excellent! Thanks so much for noticing that. I had created four notes, then cut and pasted them in each measure, adjusting their positions, rather than drawing each beat from scratch. In that one measure I must have bounced on the Ctrl-V. It would be nice if the program popped up an error message saying where and why it stopped.

I looked at SMBAN, and it looks pretty good, except that it defaults to the nearest next beat, which isn't always correct, so you have to type in the right number rather than slide the note in the PRV. But I may try it out on another song.

I found a flaw in Fit Improv, though, which I'm reporting in a separate post.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Paul DeRocco said:

It would be nice if the program popped up an error message saying where and why it stopped.

Agreed. SM/BAn pops an error if a Now time is already 'set' or if setitng a pooint owuld require a tmepo outside the supprted range (8-1000bpm IIRC). Seems fit imporv could easily do that.

31 minutes ago, Paul DeRocco said:

I looked at SMBAN, and it looks pretty good, except that it defaults to the nearest next beat, which isn't always correct, so you have to type in the right number

Yeah, SM/BAN is a little more typing-intensive, and won't guess a resolution finer than a quarter-note beat. But the advantage is that you can tab to notes, and set points precisely at note starts, and also set intermediate beat values in cases where few notes are falling on a beat or you need to align an accel or rit. And - maybe more importantly - you're not forced to set every beat if you just want to tighten up  tempo variation of specific measures, and let it flow elsewhere. Just remember that fractional beats are decimal, not ticks, so the 8th note 1:480 of a measure would be set to beat 1.500.