Took my time, now it’s rockin’ time

Leftenant Dano

I expressed my frustration earlier about how the normally powerful gaming laptop I inherited was handicapped with a halfway-between Windows 8 and 8.1, so I couldn’t do any productive projects. Everything I tried - including downloading and installing Cakewalk - produced nothing but front-and-center messageboxes about some process having failed, ended suddenly, or unable to go any further. Many computers occasionally get cross-eyed, but mine was tied up in “cannots”. Since all I got out of that machine was increased blood pressure, I put it back into its carry bag, took it down to a dark corner of my basement, and nearly forgot about it.

Meanwhile, I was working in my main studio (which has a c. 2010 tower PC on Windows 7), and recently upgraded the audio interface from a little 2-in/4-out FireWire desktop box to a new Focusrite Scarlett rack-mount. Its install didn’t lack hitches and glitches, either. I put in a request to tech support and left it alone.

By this time, I was very tired of error messages and failure-to-completes, and spied the laptop bag in the basement corner. I had been researching how to upgrade older versions of Windows, and thought it might be worthwhile to attempt a modernization on the portable so it might be released from the purgatory of Windows “Hate”. At first, I had my doubts as I began the procedure, but I let it run for several hours. I left the room and spoke in a whisper lest I jinx it. Finally, the process completed, and the PC displayed a brand-new fully functional Windows 10 desktop. I nearly fell over when I saw that this had actually worked!

Tomorrow  I’m going to download and install Cakewalk on my newly invigorated Win 10 machine, and start discovering how to produce music on a new DAW that I haven’t used before. Hopefully, it will load up and work just fine, now that I’ve gotten past the former roadblocks. My father may have been right when he said I was stubborn. Stay tuned!