AIR DB-33, Boom, Loom Classic, Mini Grand $19.99 ea.

Starship Krupa

The page says that the sale started on January 16, but I don't see it mentioned here, and I didn't notice it until now, so here she is:

Save up to 80% off a selection of Air Music's fantastic instruments including DB-33 Organ, Mini Grand Piano, Loom Classic Synth and Boom Classic Drum Machine. All now only £17.95 / $19.99 for a limited time.

That limited time being until February 4th.

I have DB-33 and it's really good, and the Leslie emulation may be used as a separate VST. I have no experience with any of the others, but IME, AIR's stuff will be well worth the discounted price.

• Like 1

I would definitely say that Loom is probably worth $19 for the additive synthesis. It is quite unique and you can get some sounds with it that you are unlikely to find anywhere else. There are 30 sound shaping modules that you can build a sound from by combining them in the 10 available module slots per patch.  There is one Wave module that allows you to import wave files and process them.  Creates a vocoder like sound with vocal recordings.  Lots of fun!

But if you already own ANY Air instrument, I would recommend the Air Instrument Expansion Pack 3 Complete upgrade for $74.99.  Might as well get them all!  :D

https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/1-Instruments/58-Inst-Bundle/2294-AIR-Instrument-Expansion-Pack-3-COMPLETE-UPGRADE-

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

Does anybody here know the procedure for activation with Air? How's support with this company? Are they on it with updates?

I 'tried' the Mini Grand and must say, it's pretty damn awesome actually! Beats the PANTS off Addictive Keys (one of the worst purchases ever) for a fraction of the price and more importantly a fraction of the disk space. It really is surprisingly good....

R

2 hours ago, Rico Belled said:

Does anybody here know the procedure for activation with Air? How's support with this company? Are they on it with updates?

I 'tried' the Mini Grand and must say, it's pretty damn awesome actually! Beats the PANTS off Addictive Keys (one of the worst purchases ever) for a fraction of the price and more importantly a fraction of the disk space. It really is surprisingly good....

R

It's the standard iLok authorisation - i.e. either to an iLok dongle, or a computer.

Most of the AIR software is pretty old. I've not had an update since I bought it.

It's good though, so don't let that put you off.

AIR instruments are basically flawless, and sound great. But they are dated, and mostly haven't seen an update in years. They have small, un-resizable GUIs, and old style drop down menu patch selectors.

But it's a bang for the buck bundle of sounds for sure! :D

If you are allergic to dongles, all AIR products can be authorized through the iLok software license manager, and can be authorized on two computers each.

6 hours ago, Rico Belled said:

Beats the PANTS off Addictive Keys (one of the worst purchases ever) for a fraction of the price and more importantly a fraction of the disk space. It really is surprisingly good....

R

Just curious, what do you not like about Addictive Keys? 

12 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

I was sold on DB-33 when I downloaded the demo and nailed the intro to "It's All Too Much" within minutes.

For some reason, that was always my acid (tee-hee) test for Hammond organ emulations. I guess it has key click, all the trimmings.

Don't miss these 10 free patches for DB-33, by Pro Tools Expert Russ Hughes. https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/1-Instruments/70-Expansion-Packs/1715-DB-33-Pro-Tools-Expert-Guest-Expansion

Pro Tools DB33 Organ In Depth Video from Russ (he goes over some of the patches in the free expansion pack):

Edited by abacab
  • Thanks 2

Some additional resources for DB-33:

Review – DB-33 by AIR Music

http://soundbytesmag.net/db33byairmusic/

DB-33 is modeled after the Hammond B3, and I really mean “modeled”, as it doesn’t use samples to get its sound.  The DB-33 is what AIR calls a Tonewheel Organ Simulator.

Exploring the DB-33 in Pro Tools

https://ask.audio/articles/exploring-the-db-33-in-pro-tools

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, husker said:

Just curious, what do you not like about Addictive Keys? 

There are two things that make it almost unusable to me:

Most importantly the sound, which at first sounds nice, but when you get deeper you realize that there are SERIOUS phase issues with just about any mic combo. It just doesn't work in mono. My Kronos has the same problem, even though it sounds wonderful in stereo.

Also, the dynamics are crap. Again, if you just play a chord and hold it it sounds great, but if you actually play it, and know how a real piano responds, it feels horrible. Even with max dynamic range set it's got nothing. My Kronos does not have this problem, but so far the only thing I've played that gives me the same feeling of expressiveness as the Steinway B I play every Sunday in church (just saying, I do know what I'm talking about LOL) is Ivory.

Interestingly, Pianoteq 'feels' great even though it doesn't exactly sound like a real piano. It 'behaves' realistically if you know what I mean.

Now the Addictive Keys Rhodes is much worse than the grand piano; to me it's completely unplayable. When compared to Lounge Lizard or even the old EVP 73 it's doodoo. My Kronos has modeled Rhodes too and it is wonderful. Speaking of the EVP: I still use it! It's less than 1 Megabyte and to me blows every single sample set out of the water.

We're living in a time where so many keyboard players (even really good ones!) have only ever played plastic instruments; they don't have any idea what kind of expressive range a piano has.

All of that said: if you're NOT a high level pianist, or if you're 'programming' music at home, all those plugins can work miracles. Don't think I'm an old fart who doesn't like tech; couldn't be further from the truth. I LOVE experimenting with synths and have for more than 30 years! Can't believe how good the Rhodes models have become, even on my Kronos: they can truly replace the 73 Mark I had many moons ago and then some.

The Native Instruments B4 sounds every bit as good as a B3 and has all the quirks and noise of the real thing! In my opinion, their new organ VST is a HUGE step backwards in playability. You just can't sample the complexities and nonlinearities in instrument, you need modeling...

Sorry for the long rant!

R

• Like 1

Wow, @Rico Belled, nice detailed reply.

I won't claim to "know my stuff" as well as you seem to, but I've tried a few VSTi's and have a couple of oddball favorites I wonder if you've tried. If you have, I'm curious to know how you liked them.

My favorite Rhodes is the mda ePiano, which has recently been given a sharp GUI by Dead Duck Software and renamed DPiano-E. It's freeware and it's old, but when you lay into it it barks like a Rhodes should. It sounds just like my old Stage 73.

My favorite grand is Pianissimo by Acoustica, better known for their DAW Mixcraft. It's a hybrid of modeled and sampled. Light on size and CPU, high on verisimilitude.

46 minutes ago, abacab said:

Do you think it matters as much if somebody only needs to record a piano accompaniment track,  and not a soloist?

I think the phasing issues make it "not recommended" if you plan on releasing it to the public. It never sits right in a mix when I try it, but if you know it'll always be played in stereo I guess it's ok.

R

17 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

Wow, @Rico Belled, nice detailed reply.

I won't claim to "know my stuff" as well as you seem to, but I've tried a few VSTi's and have a couple of oddball favorites I wonder if you've tried. If you have, I'm curious to know how you liked them.

My favorite Rhodes is the mda ePiano, which has recently been given a sharp GUI by Dead Duck Software and renamed DPiano-E. It's freeware and it's old, but when you lay into it it barks like a Rhodes should. It sounds just like my old Stage 73.

My favorite grand is Pianissimo by Acoustica, better known for their DAW Mixcraft. It's a hybrid of modeled and sampled. Light on size and CPU, high on verisimilitude.

Thanks for those tips! Pianissimo is impressive for how small it is, but I don't love it. In sustained notes you really hear the lack of 'information' if you know what I mean. The Mini Grand is head and shoulder above it...

Now that mda ePiano is pretty awesome! I still prefer Lounge Lizard 4 and the EVP, but it's really quite good and much more playable than just about any sample based instrument. Even with the GUI is barely more than 1 Megabyte! It just goes to show how inefficient rompling really can be, doesn't it?

Are you hip to the MiniMogue 2? 

R

I  have the AIR Mini Grand,  the AIR Velvet, and the AIR DB-33. I agree that the Mini Grand is a very decent piano. Velvet is a nice Rhodes and Wurli emulation. And the DB-33 gives you a nice set of B-3 tonewheel sounds. All in all a  good VST keyboard collection, especially if you haven't yet invested in go-to virtual keyboards.

And as far as the AIR synths go, the trio of Vacuum Pro, Hybrid 3, and Loom cover subtractive, hybrid, and additive synthesis, respectively.

You can cover a lot of sonic ground with these instruments for cheap, if you get the complete AIR bundle upgrade.  :D

1 hour ago, abacab said:

And as far as the AIR synths go, the trio of Vacuum Pro, Hybrid 3, and Loom cover subtractive, hybrid, and additive synthesis, respectively.

You can cover a lot of sonic ground with these instruments for cheap, if you get the complete AIR bundle upgrade.  :D

I got Hybrid 3, Loom Classic, and Vacuum Pro for $1.00 each as separate purchases over the past year or so. I expect they have probably already made back their development costs, so it costs them little to offer them as stocking stuffers to get you on their mailing lists. The Mini Grand sounds like it may finally be moving into that category. If I did not already have a pile of sampled pianos that came with other stuff I bought, I might go for it a $19.99. Just how good is it disregarding the price? is it a good piano or just a good piano compared to other twenty dollar pianos?

2 hours ago, slartabartfast said:

I got Hybrid 3, Loom Classic, and Vacuum Pro for $1.00 each as separate purchases over the past year or so. I expect they have probably already made back their development costs, so it costs them little to offer them as stocking stuffers to get you on their mailing lists. The Mini Grand sounds like it may finally be moving into that category. If I did not already have a pile of sampled pianos that came with other stuff I bought, I might go for it a $19.99. Just how good is it disregarding the price? is it a good piano or just a good piano compared to other twenty dollar pianos?

Well I am a synth guy, not a pianist, so I will defer to the real piano players for their opinions. But I wouldn't write it off as a $20 piano. It has a relatively small footprint, loads fairly quickly, and to my ears sounds about as good as the other pianos I have. Plus it was part of the Avid Pro Tools bundled instruments for years, so I assume it was acceptable with that crowd.

Edited by abacab

11 hours ago, Rico Belled said:

Thanks for those tips! Pianissimo is impressive for how small it is, but I don't love it. In sustained notes you really hear the lack of 'information' if you know what I mean. The Mini Grand is head and shoulder above it...

Now that mda ePiano is pretty awesome! I still prefer Lounge Lizard 4 and the EVP, but it's really quite good and much more playable than just about any sample based instrument. Even with the GUI is barely more than 1 Megabyte! It just goes to show how inefficient rompling really can be, doesn't it?

Are you hip to the MiniMogue 2? 

R

Y'know, since I'm more of a rock and pop player, I probably wouldn't have caught issues with Pianissimo's sustained notes. I'll check out Mini Grand if I wind up with an extra Jackson fluttering around.

Isn't ePiano something? I like Lounge Lizard well enough, but the thing that it misses that mda/Dead Duck gets right, is the "bark" when I lay into it, I guess it's the combination of the tines and the pickups getting hit too hard, it's like a slap bass. It's probably where the modeling method leaves sampling behind. As you say. That kind of thing is easier (and "cheaper" in software terms) to model than it is to sample. I don't think you could fit a multisampled Rhodes into 1M.

When you look at Dead Duck's GUI version, it really illustrates how many parameters they give you control over. Dead Duck is a force for good in the world because of that huge free FX package they have, but when he released the mda stuff with the GUI's, I thought that was just wonderful, to keep them going like that.

Yes, I am a casual fan of Minimogue and his other vintage synthalikes. Acoustica bundles them all into the Mixcraft package.