Freeze bus plugins

kagunmarx

Question

4 answers to this question

34 minutes ago, David Baay said:

Freezing means rendering audio to a file. Currently a bus can't play an audio file, though I suppose that capability could be added. In the mean time you can bounce the bus to a track that outputs to the same destination, and mute the bus. 

I would agree to the above (from @David Baay) as one solution.   But I was thinking and thought why not use the "Mix Recall" function.  I don't know if it would meet your requirements but I did this experiment since I was curious:

I opened a project and added a extra bus called "Sub-Mix1" - no FX added to either

I saved this configuration as a project, then crested a "Mix Recall Scene" called "mix1"

I then added a limiter to the master bus and a "EQ" to the sub mix bus - created a new scene named "mix2"

next I changed the FX on the "Sub-Mix" buss to something else and save that scene as "mix3"

At this point I could go to original mix "Mix1" and no FX in either buss.  Selected "Mix2" scene and each now had FX added.   Selected "Mix3" and the sub buss FX changed.

Now I don't know if that is what you are after (as in trying different mixes).    I myself, do not see a use for freezing a buss (with FX) since I can a bounce the buss to a track (to save plug-in overhead) or just create another buss with a different FX  and then mute the one I don't want in the mix.

Don't know if that helps . . .  But it is an idea . . .

Syphus

I wasn't sure whether the goal was to just to 'lock in' the bus FX settings and maybe get higher offline processing quality or to conserve CPU and/or eliminate latency.  In the latter case, you would also need to archive related tracks and disable the bus' FX. Certainly not as simple - or as easily reversed - as a  properly implemented  bus-freezing function could be.

Another example of how lack of clarity in a question can lead to confusion in the answers. Rather than say "freeze...plugins," which is an idiosyncratic name for a process that  I think no one except the OP understands, perhaps he should spend a few words to describe in simple English what it is he wants to accomplish and why.