Everlasting God - Scandalous Grace - UPDATED MIX 3/4/20

Beagle

Hi Everyone!  Ready for some MOTOWN?????

we've been slow getting more new music out lately, but I think we're starting to break through the barrier!  Here's our latest!  All comments welcome!

Beagle Bain: Words and Music, lead vocals, Rhodes, drum programming, mixing, producer
Michael Hanson: BGVs, Bass, Rhythm
Sean Peifer: BGVs, Rhythm, Lead solo

I have adjusted the vox with EQ and volume to cut through the areas of where the guitars overlap.  let me know what you think of the new version!

same link!

Edited by Beagle
  • Like 1

As a Christian myself... I got this one.

I would suggest a little compression on the vocal as I cant always pick out what the lyrics are.
I think its when you go into the lower octave.
The guitars are quite powerful and maybe come down a little and the backing vocals out to the sides a little more would leave space for the main vocal.

Once again ... well done.
I always state this...  but we all paint very different pictures...  these are just my personal views and what I would have done and in no way is it meant to diminish the work you have done here.

I am listening on  Focal TRIO6 BE

• Like 1

I liked this but it seems to be missing something I can't quite put a finger on. In a word "energy". That's about the closest I can come to explaining it. 

It almost sounds like a bored group to me. I'm sorry just being totally transparent here. Sing this like you really mean it! Add some fire to the recipe :)

Open a can of whoopass on it.

3 hours ago, Starise said:

I liked this but it seems to be missing something I can't quite put a finger on. In a word "energy". That's about the closest I can come to explaining it. 

It almost sounds like a bored group to me. I'm sorry just being totally transparent here. Sing this like you really mean it! Add some fire to the recipe :)

IOW-Needs more cowbell!!😁

Edited by Johnbee58
  • Haha 2

On 2/20/2020 at 3:48 AM, garybrun said:

As a Christian myself... I got this one.

I would suggest a little compression on the vocal as I cant always pick out what the lyrics are.
I think its when you go into the lower octave.
The guitars are quite powerful and maybe come down a little and the backing vocals out to the sides a little more would leave space for the main vocal.

Once again ... well done.
I always state this...  but we all paint very different pictures...  these are just my personal views and what I would have done and in no way is it meant to diminish the work you have done here.

I am listening on  Focal TRIO6 BE

Thanks, Gary!  I plan to work on the mix some based on your suggestion here to get the vocals to pop out over the guitars.

appreciate it!

On 2/21/2020 at 10:51 AM, daryl1968 said:

Hi Beags me old mate. Do you guys play live as I bet you'd be great to see? 

I liked this but it seemed to drag a little tempo-wise. It could do with speeding up a few bpm. Only my humble opinion - you know I love you and am coming from the right place.

thanks Daryk!  we would love to be able to play live together, but alas one of us lives in California and the other two in Texas.  Mike and I have played live together and we did play some of these songs, but it would be so much better if we all 3 could!

I hear you on the tempo and of course everything you say in critique is taken in love because you're the love monkey!  :D   

I'll consider upping the tempo, but that might be for a much later version - that would take a lot of rework.  thanks so much for the listen and comments mate!

• Like 1

I really like the lead vocal on this song.  I love that baritone sound.  Some times that lower sound gets eaten up by the instrumentation but it comes through fine to me.  I have mixed feelings about the tempo.  I'm kind of thinking that it is OK and the energy of the song builds a bit as the vocals build toward the end.

Great job and great to hear y'all Beagle!

• Like 1

On 2/23/2020 at 9:26 PM, bjornpdx said:

Same impression here as above. Lyrics could be compressed a bit for clarity (though not much) and the tempo could be picked up a few. Or make some cuts in the ending which is somewhat repetitive as is.
Vocal is very good and guitar is excellent.

Thanks Bjorn!  I have uploaded a new mix version with the vox EQ'd and raised some to break through the guitars.  I appreciate the comments on the tempo, but I don't plan to change the tempo at this time.  maybe at a later date.  thanks for the vocal and guitar compliments!!!

On 2/24/2020 at 11:43 AM, Starise said:

Thanks Tim!  I appreciate the listen and the comments!  you can be as truthful and transparent with me as you want!  

On 2/24/2020 at 2:58 PM, Douglas Kirby said:

I enjoyed the listen - I agree with some of the other guys about the tempo - it seemed to drag a bit. Cool lead vocal. Tasty guitar solo.

No crits on the mix - it sounded fine to me.

Thanks for posting.

Thanks Doug!  I appreciate the listen and the great comments!  I might increase the tempo at a later date, but I don't plan to re-work for tempo at this time.  I do appreciate the comments on it, tho and it seems to be a consensus to up the tempo next time I work this.  thanks!