CbB Updated

cclarry

Release Notes (2020.01)

Features & Enhancements

Multi-timbral soft synth enhancements. The new Instrument Track Per Output option in the Add Track menu and Insert Soft Synth Options dialog box for multi-timbral soft synths that support multiple outputs. It pairs a MIDI track with a separate audio output track (mono or stereo) for each synth output, assigning sequential MIDI channels. This allows you to have multiple Instrument tracks for a single instance of a synth.

MIDI chase is now supported for VST3 MIDI event buses that support it (e.g. Vienna Symphonic Library).

Show/hide Aim Assist text in Time Ruler (go to Edit > Aim Assist > Show Aim Assist Time or press ALT+X).

CPU metrics in Performance module. Diagnosing glitches in audio playback is now easier with the new Engine Load and Late Buffers metrics in the Control Bar's Performance module tooltip.

Experimental aggressive task scheduling model. We continue to work on improving our multi-threaded engine performance and have added a new 'aggressive' task scheduling model. The aggressive task scheduler utilizes more efficient task management that can result in better multi-processing and fewer thread context switches. The new scheduling model is activated by setting the ThreadSchedulingModel value to 3. This can be done via Edit > Preferences > Audio - Configuration File.

The Duplicate Clip command now respects Snap By.

Build 26.01.0.28 hotfix

Fixed several stability issues.

Long MIDI project crashes on playback after seeking to high time value.

Smart Solo does not unsolo as expected with Instrument Track Per Output.

Insert Time/Measures only shifts markers if clip data exists.

Instrument Track Per Output does not insert tracks in folder if Create Folder is selected.

CWAF Tool does not work with Cakewalk 2020 builds.

Mackie Control does not mute per-output Instrument tracks properly.

Folders with 'VST3' as part of the name ('VST32', etc.) are treated as VST3 folders and fail to scan VST2 plug-ins.

Bug Fixes

WASAPI Exclusive mode fails to open inputs on multi-channel audio devices.

Cannot open some audio devices such as Roland Octacapture as 16 bit in WASAPI Exclusive mode.

WASAPI Shared mode kills audio in other apps.

Edit tool has inconsistent drop arrow in Mercury theme.

MIDI Chase should support VST3 event bus.

Duplicate Clip command doesn't obey Snap By, only Snap To.

Split tool uses fade-in curve for both fade-in & fade-out.

CPU meters do not work at buffer sizes lower than 1 msec.

Audio engine won't restart when changing latency while Preferences is open.

Scan of VST3 folder should only scan .vst3 files.

Potential crash on app shutdown.

Plug-In Browser search is not functional with FX Chain presets.

• Thanks 3

Just now, Mesh said:

I'm really impressed with the Cake team and all the updates they've put out. I don't think we got this many updates/fixes when we had to pay for it. :o 

I think you might be right there Mesh. At least it certainly seems that way. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mesh said:

I'm really impressed with the Cake team and all the updates they've put out. I don't think we got this many updates/fixes when we had to pay for it. :o 

1 hour ago, ZincT said:

I think you might be right there Mesh. At least it certainly seems that way. 

Or alternatively.......

NjhpgDI.jpg (45 minutes and counting.....)

VdZgBO1.jpg 

Oh really? What a surprise.......

😒

Yeah, that Bandlab Assistant is somewhat of a head scratcher and don't know why they don't work on fixing that. I've always had to manually find the update to install.

A small 'price' to pay for being free....I can live with that. ;) 

• Like 2

Weird that..BA didn't work properly for me for ages and then worked fine for a while before breaking again.

The last two updates though have worked fine using BA and when it stops working again at least the manual update method is pretty easy. 

Edited by ZincT
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Mesh said:

Yeah, that Bandlab Assistant is somewhat of a head scratcher and don't know why they don't work on fixing that. I've always had to manually find the update to install.

A small 'price' to pay for being free....I can live with that. ;) 

One thing to have a workaround for those who know and are already invested in Cakewalk to some degree so they kind of have to put up with it, but what sort of impression does it give newer users? 

Anyway, 3 hours and 3 attempts in and The 2020.01 update just hangs at the same place every time for me so it won't install that either.I could have wasted that time in a far more enjoyable way.😉

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, abacab said:

The last 2 updates with BA worked fine for me.

I always wondered how that it works for some and not others? I generally always have Win10 updated and yet BA has never worked (either within Cakewalk or by itself). Not complaining, but  me thinks it somewhat defeats the purpose of BA.

2 minutes ago, paulo said:

One thing to have a workaround for those who know and are already invested in Cakewalk to some degree so they kind of have to put up with it, but what sort of impression does it give newer users? 

Anyway, 3 hours and 3 attempts in and The 2020.01 update just hangs at the same place every time for me so it won't install that either.I could have wasted that time in a far more enjoyable way.😉

Go to your CbB download folder and see if there are "stragglers".  These are "incomplete downloads"
and those can interfere with a new download...just a thought

Edited by cclarry
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mandolin Picker said:

Ummmm, OK.........

And I can't get rid of the double graphic!  AAAArrrrrgggghhhhh!!!!!

image.png.751646b7b73366ede2ca51cca24a9571.png

yes you can (I do it all the time)  - when you paste in the image you'll notice 2 of them below, just click on the trash can delete symbol for one of them.

Edited by TheSteven
  • Like 1

It's weird that the BA installer/uninstaller continues its downward spiral (if you hadn't noticed, it's also started to leave behind references to previous versions in the Windows app list), considering that it's pretty obvious that (while the Cakewalk devs have nothing to do with BandLab Assistant development) Cakewalk development has certainly not been scrimped on.

I haven't spent as much time with the other BandLab DAW's, the Chrome, iOS, and Android ones, but they're sharp, modern-looking apps and haven't crashed on me. BandLab Assistant itself is a good-looking, stable utility with features that go beyond just being an installation manager for Cakewalk (no, really). But this one specific component of BA, its own updater/installer, they just can't get that thing right. And the "check my own version, download and install update if needed, restart myself" problem is not one that is new or unique to BandLab Assistant.

Which is....unfortunate, because I have a hunch that most Cakewalk users are like me and only start BA when they need it, which is usually to update to the most recent build of Cakewalk. And the first thing BA does is try to update itself, which fails, giving the subsequent proceeding an air of fail. We all know better intellectually, but it's still like having a baggage handler bang a cart into the side of your plane loud enough to hear it before the plane takes off.

From what I read on the forum, BA is not the most popular feature to start with....😂

• Like 1