Email Client vs. Web Email

kitekrazy

I'm still using a client because I like to be able to save a backup of certain emails to my hard drive. And there have been a couple of times when I needed access to an email when the internet was down. But that is a rare occurrence, I have to admit.

My lad thinks I'm a bit daft for doing so and he is webmail all the way.

I put it down to our age ...

15 hours ago, synkrotron said:

I'm still using a client because I like to be able to save a backup of certain emails to my hard drive. And there have been a couple of times when I needed access to an email when the internet was down. But that is a rare occurrence, I have to admit.

My lad thinks I'm a bit daft for doing so and he is webmail all the way.

I put it down to our age ...

Which client are you using?   I had a product no longer developed call Thunderstor for Thunderbird and still works.  It had to convert the Thunderbird format to something usable.     As web masters get less competent deleting accounts and proof of purchases those backup files came handy.   

I use Outlook. Gave up Thunderbird when they dropped development on it. I had used Thunderbird for years too.

But that said, I have Outlook 365 and Gmail, 1and1 email. Last two are web based. Only one account from 1and1 is connected to my Outlook client.

One thing you can do with an email client is install and use anti-spam software of your choosing. With web mail you are at their mercy in terms of what spam filter if at all is used. If you use outlook, then for every antispam program there is surly a plug-in for it.

Spam fighter is one.

10 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

Which client are you using?   I had a product no longer developed call Thunderstor for Thunderbird and still works.  It had to convert the Thunderbird format to something usable.     As web masters get less competent deleting accounts and proof of purchases those backup files came handy.   

Hi :)

I have been using eM Client for a few years now:-

https://www.emclient.com/

It is worth doing some further research. I did some, but I found the amount of stuff available a bit overwhelming. At the end of the day I wanted something which was not connected to google, microsoft, mozilla, all that stuff and I think eM Client is not related to any of the "big providers."

eM Client is free for non-commercial use and for up to two accounts. I paid the £30 one of payment just for the "VIP Support," although I haven't needed it yet.

It is worth noting that although I use a client I do not have it downloading all my e-mails from my e-mail provider. This is an option, IMAP vs POP3. This means that if I have to I can still access my incoming e-mails via a web browser. My e-mails are only removed from my provider server when I delete them or move them from the inbox to a folder on my computer.

cheers

andy

I would recommend using a client with a cloud based email service that both support the IMAP protocol, such as Thunderbird and Gmail (and others).

The advantage to doing this is that the cloud based email can still be accessed,  if needed, from anywhere using web mail (or a mobile client) if you are away from your main email client (for example from a mobile phone, a laptop, work, a friends computer, etc).

The IMAP protocol (which can replace POP/SMTP) provides for instant two-way sync of all your mail folders including inboxes and sent mail, accessed from any device that can sign into your email account.

This way, your main client on your home PC can become your backup repository for all of your cloud  based mail folders via IMAP, while giving you the flexibility to have complete access to your email from anywhere/any device.

Use IMAP to check Gmail on other email clients:

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/7126229?hl=en

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, abacab said:

I would recommend using a client with a cloud based email service that both support the IMAP protocol, such as Thunderbird and Gmail (and others).

The advantage to doing this is that the cloud based email can still be accessed,  if needed, from anywhere using web mail (or a mobile client) if you are away from your main email client (for example from a mobile phone, a laptop, work, a friends computer, etc).

The IMAP protocol (which can replace POP/SMTP) provides for instant two-way sync of all your mail folders including inboxes and sent mail, accessed from any device that can sign into your email account.

This way, your main client on your home PC can become your backup repository for all of your cloud  based mail folders via IMAP, while giving you the flexibility to have complete access to your email from anywhere/any device.

Use IMAP to check Gmail on other email clients:

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/7126229?hl=en

Yeah, like I said above:- 

21 hours ago, synkrotron said:

It is worth noting that although I use a client I do not have it downloading all my e-mails from my e-mail provider. This is an option, IMAP vs POP3. This means that if I have to I can still access my incoming e-mails via a web browser. My e-mails are only removed from my provider server when I delete them or move them from the inbox to a folder on my computer.

7 hours ago, synkrotron said:

Yeah, like I said above:-

It is worth noting that although I use a client I do not have it downloading all my e-mails from my e-mail provider.

You can set your client to download all email to a copy of your folders as they arrive so that you have a local copy, AND leave them on the server for web access.