Transferring a midi file ?

mark skinner

Question

I've finished and edited a single midi piano track . I would like to put the track on a flash drive , load it on a different pc at a friends house (better synth). I could then bring it back to my project as an audio file. I'm not sure about the best way to do this. If it's a pain I could do a complete project bundle file .   Thanks for any help .  mark

6 answers to this question

If the project is all MIDI, all you really need is the project file itself. There is nothing to bundle (a bundle is a single file containing the project and associated audio). You could copy the folder containing the project and the empty audio folder onto the flash drive if you wanted to take the entire project.

If there is other stuff in the project you could bounce the MIDI clips in the track and drag it to the desktop and render the MIDI file to audio at your friends house.

Or save the project as a MIDI file.

Scook , Si drums and TTS  piano are the only 2 midi tracks in the 10 track project so far.  I thought there might be an easy way to copy a midi track and send it to another synth on a different pc or use it in a different project on the same pc. I may not be making myself clear or it may not be as easy as I thought it should be.    me

There is a simple way to save the MIDI from a track.  Just as scook suggested dragging it to the desktop, you could do the same to the USB flash drive.  (If the MIDI is separate clips, select the track and Bounce to Clip(s) so that all the MIDI is consolidated.)  Using the Media Browser, navigate to your flash drive and simply drag and drop the MIDI from the track in/onto the flash drive.

Kind regards,

tecknot

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mark skinner said:

Scook , Si drums and TTS  piano are the only 2 midi tracks in the 10 track project so far.  I thought there might be an easy way to copy a midi track and send it to another synth on a different pc or use it in a different project on the same pc. I may not be making myself clear or it may not be as easy as I thought it should be.    me

I only tested the Bandlab export mechanism once. But maybe you can export it from Cakewalk and upload it to Bandlab (the Mix-Editor/App) and you or your friend can export it and then import it to Cakewalk on the other PC.  I think it would be easier to just use a flash drive to transport it or if you are too far apart e-mail it.  However, Bandlab (the Web-browser based app) seems to be set up for collaborations across distances and if you can get the CbB -> BL -> CbB process nailed, it might be useful in the long run.  Just a thought.

Another possibility is with-midi-over internet.  A while ago (8-10 years ago) I used something I think was called MIDI Tangle to send midi to a synth in NL (I am in the US) and I recorded the midi output from a friend in NL into Cakewalk. I forget what the latency was--possibly 400 ms each way (800 ms round trip). That was approx. 10 years ago. I am sure there are newer tools for doing midi-over-internet. I assume they would be faster and easier to use, too.

Edited by User 905133
to add some details

If the clip doesn' start at 1:01, you will have better luck using Save As and choosing MIDI Format 1 in the Save as Type field. You'll get a MIDI file that opens with two separate tracks, and you can grab just the piano track from it at the other end. IIRC, a non-zero start time will get lost when you drag-drop out of Cakewalk.

• Like 1