Automation of Plugin

Harks

Can anybody tell me how to automate a plugin?  I want to add echo to one word on a vocal track.  I've added the plugin to the track and it sounds fine if I manually switch it on and off but for the life of me I cannot work out - or find out - how to automate it.  Thanks.

Some plug-ins do not have on/off exposed for automation. VST3 plug-ins should have a host bypass in their automation parameters which can serve as on/off. 

There is extensive help for automation here.

One way to automate a plug-in is click the W button above the plug-in UI and with the transport running use the mouse to manipulate the controls of the plug-in.

On 2/12/2020 at 5:46 PM, scook said:

Some plug-ins do not have on/off exposed for automation. VST3 plug-ins should have a host bypass in their automation parameters which can serve as on/off. 

There is extensive help for automation here.

One way to automate a plug-in is click the W button above the plug-in UI and with the transport running use the mouse to manipulate the controls of the plug-in.

Hi scook, thanks for your reply.  I'm pretty sure that what I want to do can't actually be done automatically.  What I want is for echo/delay on one word and to switch it off after it's repeated a couple of times.  As far as I can tell, the W button only works on parameters within the plugin and not the plugin itself.

It depends on the plug-in. If it lacks an automated on/off there are several other ways to get the effect. Here are two -

To add a echo on a single word or phrase, split clip(s) from the rest of the track and add the delay as a clip FX. Every clip has an FX Rack just like the track. 

Another way to achieve the same result is using a send to a bus with the delay on the bus. Automate the send to the bus and if necessary automate the bus volume to kill the delay.

2 minutes ago, scook said:

It depends on the plug-in. If it lacks an automated on/off there are several other ways to get the effect. Here are two -

To add a echo on a single word or phrase, split clip(s) from the rest of the track and add the delay as a clip FX. Every clip has an FX Rack just like the track. 

Another way to achieve the same result is using a send to a bus with the delay on the bus. Automate the send to the bus and if necessary automate the bus volume to kill the delay.

Brilliant.  I'll give those a go. Thanks again.

22 hours ago, scook said:

I split the clip and added the FX.  Worked a treat.  Thanks for your help.