I cannot move notes I selected

Akira Chen

12 minutes ago, tecknot said:

Hold down the Shift key is for moving a selection of notes as desired in the OP.  Without the Shift key, you can only move a single note where I am.

Yes I understood that. I was just pointing out that it's not documented. Ref. Guide says the Select tool will move a group of notes just by clicking and dragging one of them. 

Edited by David Baay

Yes, the Staff View DESPERATELY needs an overhaul! It is such an important part of workflow for some of us! I don't mind the PRV for many things, But I am a composer and accustomed to writing "dot and line" for harmonies, multiple parts, whatever. It's just how it is done with some of us when writing music. Of course I mostly use Sibelius for serious work in this regard, but still Cakewalk was one the the first (if not the first) to offer music notation with MIDI in a DAW, it would be nice to maintain the legacy!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Base 57 said:

This.

And it is VERY unintuitive to use the Select tool to move notes regardless of what is written in the (2184 page) user guide. This should work with the Move Tool and the Smart Tool.

Hmmm, my Reference Guide only has 1712 pages, with Staff View described starting on page 1078...

• Haha 1

FWIW, my laptop has 2019.07 CbB.  (1) The awkward finger toggling is in that version, too. (It's the earliest CbB I still have.) (2) Not sure about others, but for me the awkwardness involving complex uses of Ctrl/Shift, (Left-)Click, and Drag is ten times worse on the laptop than on a non-laptop keyboard + mouse.

Thank being said, my staff entry workflow has been to enter notes via a usb or midi keyboard and tweak and/or re-record parts--that is, not even close to 100% via manual note entry and manipulation.  

I am not sure this discussion helps Akira Chen, but I am glad he posted the problem in the first place and for all the contributors to the discussion.  I have some motivic pencil and paper sketches and drafts that have been on my to-do list for a while, and I now have some strategies for those kinds of projects and for others that might involve heavy duty mouse-and-keyboard manipulation of notes.

Apologies if anyone thinks this was not directly related  to the OP.  And, again, thanks to all who chimed in.

Edited by User 905133

23 minutes ago, winkpain said:

Yes, the Staff View DESPERATELY needs an overhaul! It is such an important part of workflow for some of us! I don't mind the PRV for many things, But I am a composer and accustomed to writing "dot and line" for harmonies, multiple parts, whatever. It's just how it is done with some of us when writing music. Of course I mostly use Sibelius for serious work in this regard, but still Cakewalk was one the the first (if not the first) to offer music notation with MIDI in a DAW, it would be nice to maintain the legacy!

I agree. The notation features were largely seen as a back end addition or something that shows notation to an already composed work. Lots of users use the PRV instead. If you only compose in notation I can see where this would be an issue since compared to the better notation programs it is very basic. One option is to use MuseScore which is free and compose using the soundfonts, then export back into Cakewalk as midi for more serious DAW work. It is possible to put something together in Cakewalk's notation feature though there are certainly limitations. 

2 hours ago, Akira Chen said:

Do you use the move option successfully to move notes in staff view?

Using the Smart tool, yes. But, as noted, it will only move one note of a selected group unless you hold Ctrl while clicking, and then release it while continuing to hold the click and then drag. Using the Select tool as suggested by tecknot works better if you're going to move a lot of notes. But since I pretty much exclusively use the Smart tool in other areas, I prefer not to have to change tools if I can help it.

FWIW, I record all my MIDI in real time, and don't do a lot of note-by-note editing in most cases. When I do, the PRV suits me. But I would love to see the Staff View improved, nevertheless.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 3/11/2020 at 2:42 AM, User 905133 said:

Footnote to (1) the use of CTRL and (2) using the Staff View Context Menu to Slide, Transpose, Arpeggiate, etc. groups of selected notes by certain amounts:

See this problem-solution related to accessing the Staff View Context Menu features.

image.png.ff3f636c9cc6fb9a8338a0d55a7d644f.png   image.png.9938731298d8d137e6632754cd32cd06.png   image.png.0dec9f28fbb328a11ff730b39226e28c.png

After I set those settings. My options are locked. How to enable those setting like Slide,Transpose?
image.png.4ee7347a961c4777aa99d1dc6ea1ed0b.png

Edited by Akira Chen

1 hour ago, Akira Chen said:

After I set those settings. My options are locked. How to enable those setting like Slide,Transpose?
image.png.4ee7347a961c4777aa99d1dc6ea1ed0b.png

At one point I had that, too (the grayed out options). Someone posted about that.  I will look for the link. 

Did this help?

UPDATE:  I just tested scooks' advice, and it still works using these two steps.  (I am using 2020.05 Build 039.)

On 3/10/2020 at 2:20 PM, User 905133 said:

Thanks!!  I was granted access to these features by first using the Select Tool to make a selection and then CTRL + Right Clicking on the staff outside the selected area.  

image.thumb.png.84e8347dc970e53f3b6225f1b08464c2.png        image.png.60b24bbd3075e3d4fae64b781bb72c07.png   

Edited by User 905133
(3) to post pictures; (2) to confirm that the method worked for me with the current release; (1) to add a forum link about this issue

• 7 months later...

I'm not having an issue with moving selected notes. Select > right click, they al move. But the right click on individual notes moves notes chromatically. If I want to grab all the Es for a two bars and move to Eb, I can't use the right click, because the right click has another function fore groups of selected notes.  

How can  I move groups of selected notes chromatically? 

I don't want to change the key sig, nd it's not a modulation to another key, just two bars moving out of key. 

Or can't I?

2 hours ago, Kamikaze said:

I'm not having an issue with moving selected notes. Select > right click, they al move. But the right click on individual notes moves notes chromatically. If I want to grab all the Es for a two bars and move to Eb, I can't use the right click, because the right click has another function fore groups of selected notes.  

How can  I move groups of selected notes chromatically? 

Not sure this is the best solution or if it fits with your workflow, but I just clicked on a few non-consecutive notes on the same pitch using Ctrl+Left Click and then changed them in the Event Inspector Module on the Control Bar.

Edited by User 905133
Clarification added: "using Ctrl+Left Click"; added "on the same pitch"

• 4 months later...
12 minutes ago, Sven said:

Billy86's answer was the quick solution for me if this can  help anyone else.

The one to the problem that was discussed over a year ago?  IIRC there were some changes to the Staff View since then, so perhaps the original issue has been resolved.

Edited by User 905133