I cannot move notes I selected

Akira Chen

1 minute ago, Chappel said:

I just tried that. I can move individual notes but not all the notes selected.

Yes, I noticed that. I found that the following rather awkward gesture allows moving a selection:

- Ctrl+Left-click a note in the selection, then release Ctrl while continuing to hold the click, and drag.

- Only the clicked note will appear to move while dragging, but when you release the click, the whole selection will move.

5 minutes ago, David Baay said:

Yes, I noticed that. I found that the following rather awkward gesture allows moving a selection:

- Ctrl+Left-click a note in the selection, then release Ctrl while continuing to hold the click, and drag.

- Only the clicked note will appear to move while dragging, but when you release the click, the whole selection will move.

That's now what I get. What happens when I do that is that it doesn't move the note, but copies the note to where I drag it.

37 minutes ago, David Baay said:

But Smart Tool works fine for moving notes in the SV so there should be no need to switch to the PRV.

We might be using different, unstated steps from different, unstated visual configurations. I tested the following with a single track in staff view (a) docked in the multi-dock, undocked in the multi-dock, and undocked from the multi-dock.

In all three cases, when I have the Smart Tool selected from the Control Bar Tools Module (Large, Locked & Centered, and Docked at the top), I either have the Draw Icon  or the Forbidden Icon.

To select multiple notes, I use the Select Tool and draw a box around the notes which turns the heads blue.  I can move one and only one note at a time.

I then changed the Smart Tool by right clicking so only Move is checked.

I can still only move one note at a time.

NOTE: I am not doubting that you got it to work.  I am just trying to figure out if I am missing a step you used and if so, what step that is.

4 minutes ago, Chappel said:

That's now what I get. What happens when I do that is that it doesn't move the note, but copies the note to where I drag it.

I got a copy in the new location by holding down the Ctrl key using just the Select Tool (not Move or Smart).  Useful for doubling. 😉

But maybe that points to a setting somewhere that sets up Copy as a preference. 

• Like 1

Just now, User 905133 said:

I got a copy in the new location by holding down the Ctrl key using just the Select Tool (not Move or Smart).  Useful for doubling. 😉

But maybe that points to a setting somewhere that sets up Copy as a preference. 

Well, I hope y'all can work it out. I'll stick to using the PRV where this isn't a problem.

Just now, Chappel said:

Well, I hope y'all can work it out. I'll stick to using the PRV where this isn't a problem.

Actually, I wouldn't mind if a single multi-docked tab could have more than one sizable pane--such as a section of Staff AND a section of PRV, like we have several sizable sections/panes (1) for track, bus, and hardware sliders with a docked console and (2) staff and track sections as seen below.  (Maybe it is currently possible and I haven't found it yet?)  

image.png.d723d3bbf300005eb997f425af8d55f5.png

I will pile on here. I can also confirm that this is broken. Move tool only works on one selected note in the Staff View. I have been avoiding SV for a while so I don't know how long it's been broken but my workaround would be PRV.  For those uncomfortable with PRV some workaround options within SV are Slide, Transpose or Cut and Paste.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

I got a copy in the new location by holding down the Ctrl key using just the Select Tool (not Move or Smart). 

Note that I said you have to release Ctrl while continuing to hold the click before you start dragging. This is what makes it awkward. If you don' release Ctrl, you get a copy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, David Baay said:

Note that I said you have to release Ctrl while continuing to hold the click before you start dragging. This is what makes it awkward. If you don' release Ctrl, you get a copy.

Thanks for clarifying that. I agree--it's awkward, but it does move the notes. Too bad it can't work like it does in X3--where the snap function also works.  I might look for a similar awkward set of finger toggling steps to get the snap functionality back; but I think using Sonar 3 or X3 is easier on my aging hands.  Thanks for pointing out the step I was missing!! 

Edited by User 905133
to add "steps"

On 2/12/2020 at 4:45 AM, Akira Chen said:

I select notes and then use move tools to move the notes I selected. But I cannot move them. No work!

Does somebody know how to move the notes?

Do not use the move tool.  Use the select tool by clicking and dragging.  You will see the pointer turns into the move tool as you are dragging.  To move a selection of notes, hold down the Shift key when clicking and dragging.

Let us know if that works for you.

Kind regards,

tecknot

Edited by tecknot
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, tecknot said:

Do not use the move tool.  Use the select tool by clicking and dragging.  You will see the pointer turns into the move tool as you are dragging.

Kind regards,

tecknot

Clicking and keeping the left click button down while dragging just changes the size  of the rectangle.  The cursor/arrow/pointer  does not change to anything else.  

Or do you mean to use your method in combination  with the awkwark (1) Ctrl + Click then (2) Release Ctrl + Move process that David explained?

Also, how do you get the snap function working like it used to?

Thanks.

Edited by User 905133
To ask if the suggestion also uses coordinated David's Ctrl Release method

7 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

Clicking and keeping the left click button down while dragging just changes the size  of the rectangle.  The cursor/arrow/pointer  does not change to anything else.  

Release the click when the selection is complete, and then click again to move. Works as advertised, and is documented in the Ref. Guide, except that it isn't mentioned that you need to hold Shift to move a selection.

Edited by David Baay
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, tecknot said:

Do not use the move tool.  Use the select tool by clicking and dragging.  You will see the pointer turns into the move tool as you are dragging.  To move a selection of notes, hold down the Shift key when clicking and dragging.

Kind regards,

tecknot

This works for me. But it is awkward.  But Select - Shift dragging to move or Ctrl dragging to copy works for multiple notes with Select tool. You must press Shift or Ctrl before  clicking.

It is, however, a bit of a mystery where the notes are being moved to exactly. I just get randomly flickers rectangles that seem to want to indicate where the notes will be placed, but they disappear in the blink of an eye!

Edited by winkpain
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

Or do you mean to use your method in combination  with the awkwark (1) Ctrl + Click then (2) Release Ctrl + Move process that David explained?

Also, how do you get the snap function working like it used to?

Thanks.

After you have made your selection, hold down the Shift key and click exactly on a note in the selection and drag your selection.  You will see your pointer turns into the move tool.

3 minutes ago, David Baay said:

Release the click when the selection is complete, and then click again to move. Works as advertised, and is documented in the Ref. Guide, except that it isn't mentioned that you need to hold Shift to move a selection.

Hold down the Shift key is for moving a selection of notes as desired in the OP.  Without the Shift key, you can only move a single note where I am.

Kind regards,

tecknot

Thanks for all the clarifications.

FWIW, in SONAR Platinum Demo, the select and drag to re position seems to work properly on my PC--that is, without having to do complex finger toggling (Ctrl/Shift, etc.) the entire block of selected notes moves.

I wonder what was gained somewhere by changing this behavior in CbB.  I am guessing something in the PRV.

BTW, I can now officially relate to all the newbies who complain about how complicated CbB is and with the people who seem to yell, "How dare you change the feature I have been using for decades?  Please put it back."  :P

Edited by User 905133

2 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

BTW, I can now officially relate to all the newbies who complain about how complicated CbB is and with the people who seem to yell, "How dare you change the feature I have been using for decades?  Please put it back."  :P

I hear you.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, winkpain said:

It is, however, a bit of a mystery where the notes are being moved to exactly. I just get randomly flickers rectangles that seem to want to indicate where the notes will be placed, but they disappear in the blink of an eye!

This.

And it is VERY unintuitive to use the Select tool to move notes regardless of what is written in the (2184 page) user guide. This should work with the Move Tool and the Smart Tool.