I cannot move notes I selected

Akira Chen

Akira , If you are moving midi notes in piano roll view , you should be able to move your cursor on the note until you get the move icon . Solid line with left/right arrows on it. Left click and hold then move it left or right if that's what your trying to do. If you are using the smart tool you just move it to different places on the note to do different functions. No need to change tools. Also , if you are trying to move a note 1/16 or whatever , make sure your snap to grid setting at the top right of the prv page will allow you to move it as you like. If this isn't you problem , post some more information .     mark

• Like 1

Hi Akira,

Make sure that you do not have a lock on the clip.  If there is a lock on the clip you should see a lock icon in the upper left of the clip in the Track View.  There are two types of locks on clips, position and data.  It could be that a data lock is protecting the clip/data from your desired change(s).  To release a lock, right click on the clip and go to Clip Lock and uncheck Lock Data.

Kind regards,

tecknot

• 2 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, Akira Chen said:

I close Snap function(toggle smart grid mode) , it still cannot move notes.

Are you in Piano Roll View and are you seeing the "cross" when you hover over the note that you want to move? The cross will have up, down, left and right arrows. If you are only seeing left and right arrows then you can extend or shorten the note but you cannot move the note. You have to keep moving the cursor over the note until you get the cross.

On 2/12/2020 at 7:45 AM, Akira Chen said:

I select notes and then use move tools to move the notes I selected. But I cannot move them. No work!

Does somebody know how to move the notes?

Until it gets fixed, you might want to use an older version.  Sonar 3 and Sonar X3 both work properly.  I just tested them as they are both on my Win 10 PC (along with CbB).  Not sure if earlier versions of CbB aren't broken; I try not to flip between versions and my laptop (which hasn't been updated is currently not available.

Someone else pointed out in a recent post the snap feature is also now broken.  These combined features (select/move/snap) seem to work properly in both Sonar 3 and Sonar X3.

Thanks for mentioning this.  To me it seems like a new bug.  I have been working on purely audio projects for a couple of months, but I hope the Staff View can be fixed.  

image.thumb.png.261cc4e7760b7512b6223add4a3a17bd.png

8 minutes ago, yeto said:

Click on Hairpin and use the Smart cursor. I don't think this is the best way to move notes but it works.

I have not tested this yet, but I wrote a PM to report these issues.  I don't think we should have to use work-arounds for things that worked in previous versions.

As for me, I prefer having the tools within the Staff View pane/window (as opposed to on the Control Bar which I prefer not to use when I am entering/editing note data in the Staff View), so I don't mind using Sonar 3.

Edited by User 905133

On 2/12/2020 at 4:45 AM, Akira Chen said:

I select notes and then use move tools to move the notes I selected. But I cannot move them. No work!

Does somebody know how to move the notes?

Open the track in the Piano Roll View and move them there. Works fine.

4 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

I have not tested this yet, but I wrote a PM to report these issues.  I don't think we should have to use work-arounds for things that worked in previous versions.

As for me, I prefer having the tools within the Staff View pane/window (as opposed to on the Control Bar which I prefer not to use when I am entering/editing note data in the Staff View), so I don't mind using Sonar 3.

I don't use staff view so my work around might cause other problems as well. Your method is probably best.

1 minute ago, Chappel said:

Open the track in the Piano Roll View and move them there. Works fine.

This is a Staff View issue.  (Some of us use the Staff View.)  The learning curve to use the PRV is too steep for me.  I have tried many times, but I keep falling off and lose precious time.  😛

I realize putting notes on staves is so old-fashioned, but I hope the Staff View is not decapitated for another few decades.     

38 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

This is a Staff View issue.  (Some of us use the Staff View.)  The learning curve to use the PRV is too steep for me.  I have tried many times, but I keep falling off and lose precious time.  😛

I realize putting notes on staves is so old-fashioned, but I hope the Staff View is not decapitated for another few decades.     

I understand. The Piano Roll can seem daunting to some people. But all I'm suggesting is that you use it just to move the notes you want to move. Select the notes in the Staff View, open the Piano Roll View, move the notes, close the Piano Roll View. It's pretty easy to do. Personally, I like working in the Piano Roll View because it gives me greater flexibility as to where the note starts and where the notes end, very important in 'humanizing' the end product.

2 minutes ago, Chappel said:

I understand. The Piano Roll can seem daunting to some people. But all I'm suggesting is that you use it just to move the notes you want to move. Select the notes in the Staff View, open the Piano Roll View, move the notes, close the Piano Roll View. It's pretty easy to do. Personally, I like working in the Piano Roll View because it gives me greater flexibility as to where the note starts and where the notes end, very important in 'humanizing' the end product.

Oh, I don't doubt that the PRV is a useful tool.  Didn't mean to imply it wasn't.  I am just so old, that after decades of writing music on staves, its just quicker for me. 

I also use pencil and paper to jot down musical ideas I plunk down on a non-electric, non-electronic, wood and metal upright piano--though I also have a usb -midi keyboard** in front of my PC keyboard at all times (below the hardware modules that bring my PC monitor to eye level)!   **very useful for recording midi using a software synth, tweaking in Staff View, orchestrating, etc.

Oh, I also use the Event List, too.   So I hope that doesn't get decapitated, too. Even if CbB becomes MIDI 2.0 friendly/compliant, I hope they will keep the Event List for the sake of old farts legacy beings like me.  😛  

BTW, the PRV is not really daunting to me--I was joking about falling off.   Its more a matter of a personal workflow / efficiency.   I have mentally book marked using the PRV  for percussion (when I get to that).  For me, I think the PRV will be better than the Staff View for percussion (now that we can easily see the instruments!), though I can see how for some users the step sequencer might be preferred, especially with some musical genres.

To each his or her Dulcinea.   

BTW, I just gave your suggestion an extended test drive, and it works nicely for notes within a narrow range.  In fact, the visual transposition of the chromatic movement is handy.  Having to re-size the PRV pane and using a scroll wheel to zoom out to see more octaves at once is a bit uncomfortable.

However, I might be able to tweak my current "Staff Entry" Workspace to include a floating PRV on a second monitor that I can slide over to my main work area to use the PRV to move notes around on an as needed basis. 

So, thanks for the suggestion!!!  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

However, I might be able to tweak my current "Staff Entry" Workspace to include a floating PRV on a second monitor that I can slide over to my main work area to use the PRV to move notes around on an as needed basis. 

So, thanks for the suggestion!!! 

I'm glad that helped. I was just expanding on the comment made by mark skinner. Until BandLab fixes the problems in the Staff View (Hey, it could happen), it's handy to have alternate ways of doing things. The more you use the PRV, the easier it will get so you can get back to making music.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, David Baay said:

Confirmed the Move tool seems completely broken in Staff View; I don't get the Move cursor at all.  And it goes back at least to the  final release of Platinum.

But Smart Tool works fine for moving notes in the SV so there should be no need to switch to the PRV.

I tried to move selected notes in the Staff View using the Smart Tool. I couldn't do it.

• Thanks 1