CbBL won't open

jonathan boose

"Determining which ones can be time consuming"

Especially since there appears to be no way of determining that on start up.

"It could be any one or a combination of plug-ins."

Can I at least eliminate the ones that don't stop CbB from opening when I okay them? Otherwise I don't see any way to determine which one(s) is/are the problem.

Should I start a project without plugs and add plugins until one of them causes a crash?

And why would a plugin cause a problem now but not the last time I successfully opened CbB?

Edited by jonathan boose

13 minutes ago, jonathan boose said:

Should I start a project without plugs and add plugins until one of them causes a crash?

That is a way. Consider saving incrementally.

13 minutes ago, jonathan boose said:

And why would a plugin cause a problem now but not the last time I successfully opened CbB?

As mentioned in the OP

On 2/11/2020 at 12:12 AM, jonathan boose said:

I haven't used it in a while.

Possibly the machine was used for some other purpose and something changed to cause the failure. Maybe some other software was installed or updated (including the OS). I have no idea how the machine is used or maintained. Of course, we are not sure if the problem is plug-in related but it appears to be a good candidate ATM.

14 minutes ago, scook said:

That is a way. Consider saving incrementally.

As mentioned in the OP

Possibly the machine was used for some other purpose and something changed to cause the failure. Maybe some other software was installed or updated (including the OS). I have no idea how the machine is used or maintained. Of course, we are not sure if the problem is plug-in related but it appears to be a good candidate ATM.

Machine? You mean my computer?

It's updated automatically by MS. I assume all Win 10 Pro users are getting the same updates, which I think are mostly security updates. I haven't installed any new software.

On 2/14/2020 at 1:25 PM, jonathan boose said:

Machine? You mean my computer?

It's updated automatically by MS. I assume all Win 10 Pro users are getting the same updates, which I think are mostly security updates. I haven't installed any new software.

There are optional updates that may well be sitting out there for you to apply, manually.  I suggest you go to Settings Update and Security, and look to see if it shows any optional updates that may need to be applied.  If there are, once they finish, I suggest you then manually tell it to Check for Updates one additional time, in case there are updates to any updates you just applied.

Bob Bone

Thanks for checking.  Right below the Check for Updates button, it says there is a Feature Update to Windows 10, version 1909, so though it is not listed as an optional update, that is a pretty good-sized update waiting for you to click on Download and Install Now.

I recommend you apply that set of updates, and when it finishes, then manually hit Check for Updates once again, just to make sure there aren't additional updates available.

Bob Bone

Using supposedly high speed DSL this took quite a while.

"preparing" "downloading" rinse and repeat from about 11:00 am EST until 5.

Restart had to restart several times and took a couple more hours. So regardless of DL speed that's a lot of data.

But it works now. 

I had no idea there were optional updates I had to check for.  I'll do that in the future.

Thanks Robert, and the others, for the help. 👍

2 hours ago, jonathan boose said:

Using supposedly high speed DSL this took quite a while.

"preparing" "downloading" rinse and repeat from about 11:00 am EST until 5.

Restart had to restart several times and took a couple more hours. So regardless of DL speed that's a lot of data.

But it works now. 

I had no idea there were optional updates I had to check for.  I'll do that in the future.

Thanks Robert, and the others, for the help. 👍

Yay! :) 

Bob Bone

• 1 year later...