CbBL won't open

jonathan boose

given

11 hours ago, jonathan boose said:

I opened a simple 2 track template I had saved from the desktop icon. It loaded instantly.  There are no plugins or recorded tracks on it. But CbB opened the last time I used it with actual projects.

opening an existing project in safe-mode may be instructive (once the OS is finished updating).

37 minutes ago, scook said:

given

opening an existing project in safe-mode may be instructive (once the OS is finished updating).

I did that and tried opening the plugins one by one.

I was going through them pretty quickly (because there were many) and there were 4 of them pertaining to Melodyne.

It failed on the 4th one.

Can you figure out what version of Melodyne you have currently installed?  (If you open File Explorer, you can navigate to the plugin and hover your mouse over it, and it will pop-up the version of Melodyne on your system).

Also, maybe skip the loading of that last instance of Melodyne, to get the project to at least open, in Safe mode, as a start.

Maybe also, use the VST2 version of Melodyne?

12 minutes ago, Robert Bone said:

Can you figure out what version of Melodyne you have currently installed?  (If you open File Explorer, you can navigate to the plugin and hover your mouse over it, and it will pop-up the version of Melodyne on your system).

Also, maybe skip the loading of that last instance of Melodyne, to get the project to at least open, in Safe mode, as a start.

Maybe also, use the VST2 version of Melodyne?

Couldn't find it in file explorer, I located it with search.

I'll try skipping the last instance of Melodyne. I don't know why there is more than one shown, except that I think Sonar X3 Producer came bundled with Melodyne Le and I guess I was prompted to update since it says Melodyne 4.

I only see one listed here.

969563744_0-melodyne4.jpg.7139fc2c3a789096263d33f3c9837033.jpg

14 minutes ago, Robert Bone said:

use the VST2 version of Melodyne

This is only an option if the plug-in is used in the FX Rack. Region FX clips require the VST3 plug-in.

While the project stops when loading an instance of Melodyne, it may be a symptom and not the cause. It will take more experimentation with safe-mode to rule out a previously loaded plug-in as the cause of the problem.

OK

Based on what has been reported - 

There is a problem in a project.

It occurs at or before loading Melodyne.

There are "many" plug-ins that load before Melodyne.

Does this

35 minutes ago, jonathan boose said:

I'll try skipping the last instance of Melodyne. I don't know why there is more than one shown, except that I think Sonar X3 Producer came bundled with Melodyne Le and I guess I was prompted to update since it says Melodyne 4.

mean the project created prior to upgrading to Melodyne?

3 minutes ago, scook said:

OK

Based on what has been reported there is a problem in a project.

It occurs at or before loading Melodyne.

There are "many" plug-ins that load before Melodyne.

Does this

mean the project created prior to upgrading to Melodyne?

Yes. And if I click "no to all" the project opens, albeit without sound since there's at least one plugin on the 2 bus.

There were reports of un-rendered Melodyne 2 parts crashing SONAR when Melodyne 4 was released.

This could be the problem. If it is, the original clips should still be in the project but the Melodyne affects clips may be unavailable.

Entire projects are unavailable.

I'm pretty sure if I used Melodyne on anything, I bounced/ froze the track so it shouldn't make any difference to existing projects whether the plugin is working or not. 

If I uninstall Melodyne do you think I can open projects?

Edited by jonathan boose

When Melodyne Region FX sections are rendered references to the Melodyne plug-in are removed from the project.

AFAIK, any plug-ins in frozen/archived tracks are not accessed with a project is loaded.

Uninstalling a plug-in is functionally the same as running in safe mode, skipping offending plug-ins then deleting them. Of course, safe-mode is per-project solution where uninstall may be less work if there are many projects involved.

Either should allow the project to open if the problem is related to the plug-in.

If a project loads without plug-ins in safe-mode, it becomes a process of elimination to determine which plug-in(s) if any are the problem. It could be any one or a combination of plug-ins. Even if the project appears to get past a plug-in when loaded in safe-mode, it does not exclude that plug-in from being a problem.

Still there are a finite number of combinations and it appears that loading without plug-ins gets past the error message so this may be a good way to work the issue.

I don't understand how to use this process of elimination when the program stops working before I can get there.

I individually allowed all the plugins to load except Melodyne, which, when I just tried a few minutes ago, showed up right after "find missing audio. 

I clicked "no" on Melodyne and CbB stopped working, so there is no way to continue to find out through safe mode what plugin might be at fault.

I just tried again in safe mode, and after allowing dozens of plugins, the project opened.

But it was stripped of all the plugins I had okayed.1136956996_0-blankslate.thumb.jpg.545ec6bef6c140a2483615142cf3e62b.jpg2123782281_0-blankslate2.thumb.jpg.54d07ca5317eb996bf3ba1e13b2fe64e.jpg

26 minutes ago, scook said:

If a project loads without plug-ins in safe-mode, it becomes a process of elimination to determine which plug-in is the problem. It could be any one or a combination of plug-ins. Even if the project appears to get past a plug-in when loaded in safe-mode, it does not exclude that plug-in from being a problem.

If it doesn't exclude a plugin from being a problem, where is the process of elimination?

Large projects with lots of plug-ins are certainly more challenging that small projects.

Again if projects load in safe-mode with no plug-ins and fail to load with some or all plug-ins, the problem is likely with the plug-ins. Determining which ones can be time consuming. If there is a common plug-in or set of plug-ins used in a collection of failing projects, those would be the first to suspect.