Sidechaining and Ducking

kajunjeaux

Sidechaining question:
I was previously using Cakewalk ver 7.2, but I recently downloaded and installed Cakewalk by Bandlab. It's obviously a newer version. Anyway, to perform 'Sidechaining' (Ducking) in Cakewalk ver 7.2 I would perform the following sequence.
1) Right-click in the Fx bin of the audio track or bus (to which I would like to apply compression)--this would be background music track (guitar lead), choose Audio FX > Sonitus:fx > Compressor.
2) Right-click the track number of the audio track or bus (the output of which i wanted to use to control he compressor effect (this would be the vocal track) and choose Insert Send > Sonitus:fx compressor.
After trying to use this sequence of selections I'm unable to make it work.... "Probably something to do with the fact that Cakewalk by Bandlab requires a difference sequence of events." If anyone has any ideas how to correct the problem I would certain appreciate the help.

Well here's how I set up a ducking delay anyway and you should be able to intuit from this and apply to your specific needs.

Set up a delay 100% wet on a buss.

On that delay buss insert a compressor with a side chain on it. 

On the audio track in insert a send to the sidechain of the compressor on the delay buss (leave the track output alone). 
On the audio track insert a send directly to that buss.