Migrating to Win 10 - plugin best practice

Bristol_Jonesey

It depends on what you want.

V-Vocal is the only plug-in that is bundled with the core installer. IOW, the DAW must be installed to get the plug-in. V-Vocal was last bundled with X2 Producer.

There are a few Platinum era installers that require Platinum be installed.

All the other bundled plug-ins in every other version by be installed using the Advanced install option. Adding plug-ins this way does not mess with CbB.

To get everything from Cakewalk and CbB installed run these steps in order (except for 3 which may be run at any time)

1. Run a minimal install of 64bit X2 (as shown above) to get V-Vocal and apply X2a if you want the last R-Mix.
  2. Run a full install of 64bit Platinum add the EngineerFXSuiteSetup_1.0.0.13.exe if you want the last of the old LP series plug-ins.
  3. Run the XLN installer for Addictive Drums and the Melodyne installer from your Celemony account for Melodyne (these may be done any time)
  4. Install CbB
  5. Add any other plug-ins from older Cakewalk products using advanced 64bit install. Use the spreadsheet linked above (and now below) as a guide.

32 minutes ago, studioguy1 said:

Ok, so if I am getting this right, you do not have to go back any further than X2a to start installing on Win 10.  Correct.  And, of course, it will install on Win 10 or is there a special way to go about it??   By the way Scook, thank you for directing me over here.       Don't know why I didn't find this thread.  I certainly searched.  Oh well .  thank you.  Trying to get all my ducks in order before the end of the week and the unit arrives.  thank you all.

Sonar Plugins for Sonar 3 through Platinum (spreadsheet published at Google docs)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qNsnKBASsnsALygDDQSQ4jFW6yhZIJZcIpfwH-6qgy0/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true

1 minute ago, scook said:

Yes, that is the spreadsheet I mentioned previously in the thread

Yes it is the same. Was just pointing it out to help answer the question of how far to go back. Depends on what you want.

On 2/16/2020 at 2:49 PM, Bristol_Jonesey said:

Think I'm going to do this:

VST 2    32 Bit    C:\Program Files (X86)\Common Files\VST2
VST 2    64 Bit    C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST2
VST 3    32 Bit    C:\Program Files (X86)\Common Files\VST3
VST 3    64 Bit    C:\Program Files\VST3

That's if either of the 32 bit paths are needed - I'll find out when I install

There are no 32-bit VST3 plugins, to the best of my awareness, the spec does not allow them.

Further, VST3 64-bit plugins MUST be in C:\Program Files\Common\VST3

I place 64-bit VST2 plugins in: C:\Program Files\VST64 and when possible I go on level deeper, with a sub-folder within VST64 for each plugin, as there are often additional files for presets or documentation, etc., and I like to keep it all organized that way, so within VST64, there will be a folder for Arturia, and its plugins and files live there, another folder for Native Instruments (I abbreviate it as NI), another folder for Korg, etc....

I have 32-bit plugins in: C:\Program Files (x86)\VST32, again using sub-folders to group plugins by the company they came from

Additionally, I happen to have J-Bridge, so I have a folder in VST32 called J-Bridged Plugins and that is the only 32-bit path in my VST Settings Scan Paths in Preferences - the whole path to that is: C:\Program Files (x86)\VST32\J-Bridged Plugins

Bob Bone

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kevin Perry said:

I'd also strongly advise your 32 bit VST2 folder to be outside Program Files (x86) - say C:\VST (x86) - so you don't run into UAC/permissions issues for "bad" old plug-ins.

I haven't run into any UAC issues with my J-Bridged 32-bit plugins living in a sub folder to VST32, which is in C:\Program Files (x86). I have set that hierarchy up on multiple computers for years and years, with no issues.

16 hours ago, Kevin Perry said:

I'd also strongly advise your 32 bit VST2 folder to be outside Program Files (x86) - say C:\VST (x86) - so you don't run into UAC/permissions issues for "bad" old plug-ins.

I do that as well Kevin. Really easy to find it! :)

20 hours ago, Robert Bone said:

I haven't run into any UAC issues with my J-Bridged 32-bit plugins living in a sub folder to VST32, which is in C:\Program Files (x86). I have set that hierarchy up on multiple computers for years and years, with no issues.

I have - and I wish I could remember which plug-ins.  SynthEdit ones perhaps (since they "unzip" SEM modules into subfolders on first run)?

• Like 1

Ok...got everything installed...right up and through Sonar Platinum.   It tells me I am in demo mode??????????    I've cut three albums with this software and I am now back in demo mode after paying all my appropriate fees through those years.  I am not going to repeat here what my response is to that.   It sent me online to get a new authorization, though I have all my old serial numbers etc.   Of course, it will NOT let me put any code in because I need the authorization from some unknown person.  Holy crap.  This is frustrating.  Can't get my bandlab to work because it seesn this in limbo.  I do not have time to BS around with this.  I may have to finally move to another daw.  Have had a couple of sleepless nights over this now.  What to do?  What to do?   Damn, damn, damn.  Meanwhile this stupid blue demo Mode square is hanging in my lower left hand corner telling me to activate this offline.  Right.  Stick it.

32 minutes ago, studioguy1 said:

Ok...got everything installed...right up and through Sonar Platinum.   It tells me I am in demo mode??????????    I've cut three albums with this software and I am now back in demo mode after paying all my appropriate fees through those years.  I am not going to repeat here what my response is to that.   It sent me online to get a new authorization, though I have all my old serial numbers etc.   Of course, it will NOT let me put any code in because I need the authorization from some unknown person.  Holy crap.  This is frustrating.  Can't get my bandlab to work because it seesn this in limbo.  I do not have time to BS around with this.  I may have to finally move to another daw.  Have had a couple of sleepless nights over this now.  What to do?  What to do?   Damn, damn, damn.  Meanwhile this stupid blue demo Mode square is hanging in my lower left hand corner telling me to activate this offline.  Right.  Stick it.

Send an email to support@cakewalk.com - they should be able to get it sorted for you.

Thank you.  Just did that.  Sorry for venting my frustrations but I am working against a deadline and thought I could easily pull this off since I kept all my install files and codes.  No cigar.  Thanks for taking the time to respond.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Back to my original topic 🙂

At last I'm ready to start the migration to the new Windows 10 drive

I've found all my old installers & downloads from the CCC so good to go on that front

A question regarding sample based VSTi's

Many of the instruments that I use, Rapture Pro, BFD2, EWQLSO etc already have their samples & loops installed

They are on my D drive which is visible to the Windows 7 & Windows 10 environments

i don't want to have to install them all again, so is there an easy way just to get the dll's installed and then point them to where the data is?

Thanks in advance

Depends on the installer.

There are no options with Rapture WRT samples. They install with the plug-in but the sample library is very small. After install, delete the multisample folder and replace it with a directory junction to "real" folder.

Sample-based plug-ins with larger libraries often have more sophisticated installers with alternate install paths and minimal installations.

You'll get through it.

Fortunately, machine swaps don't happen every day.

Unfortunately, they happen so infrequently, it is difficult to remember how the build-out goes.

I don't try to replicate my current setup. Instead, do the minimum and add as I go along.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a good one

I've installed everything up to and including Platinum, mostly through the CCC

However, I can't see the Blue Tubes suite that were bundled with X3 & Splat

I've only done a minimum installation of X3 but installed everything from Splat.

Any ideas?

Edited by Bristol_Jonesey
Additional