Migrating to Win 10 - plugin best practice

Bristol_Jonesey

Hi all

I have a dual boot Win7  / Win 10 system

Currently no software installed on the Win 10 partition but I'm about to take the plunge and install all my software & plugins going right back to Sonar 8 (selective install of various plugins)

So... what's the current thinking regarding installation paths?

I'm thinking I'll need separate paths for VST2 & VST3 but what about 32bit/64 bit?

Does CbB even recognise 32 bit?

Thanks

Definitely need separate paths for VST2 and VST3. The VST3 recommends a plug-in path and CbB will not scan VST2 plug-ins in the VST3 path.

The few 32bit plug-ins I have are installed in the same path as my 64bit VST2 plug-ins, the default CbB path - C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Vstplugins

They were put there by Cakewalk installers some time ago. It was their practice when installing 64bit SONAR first.

Can't recall the last time I used a 32bit plug-in.

CbB still bundles BitBridge. That said, 32bit plug-ins are best avoided. Unmaintained software does not get better with age.

Cakewalk released 64bit versions of their plug-ins starting with SONAR 5.

There were two Pantheon reverbs bundled with SONAR. The first was a surround version. It was 32bit DX only. The stereo version released later was 32 and 64bit DX. There are some DX plug-ins that never were ported to 64bit, for example the DSP-FX series.

If you want V-Vocal run X2 Producer or older installer first, use the advanced install options and select minimal installation like this

Xtyprss.gif

Then perform complete installs Platinum and CbB. Use the XLN installer for Addictive Drums and use the Melodyne from your Celemony account.

Follow up with advanced installs of any other versions to get legacy plug-ins and content.

Think I'm going to do this:

VST 2    32 Bit    C:\Program Files (X86)\Common Files\VST2
VST 2    64 Bit    C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST2
VST 3    32 Bit    C:\Program Files (X86)\Common Files\VST3
VST 3    64 Bit    C:\Program Files\VST3

That's if either of the 32 bit paths are needed - I'll find out when I install

Edited by Bristol_Jonesey
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Bristol_Jonesey said:

Think I'm going to do this:

VST 2    32 Bit    C:\Program Files (X86)\Common Files\VST2
VST 2    64 Bit    C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST2
VST 3    32 Bit    C:\Program Files (X86)\Common Files\VST3
VST 3    64 Bit    C:\Program Files\VST3

That's if either of the 32 bit paths are needed - I'll find out when I install

That's pretty much the way I did it, except that I didn't put the VST2 sub-folders down in the "Common Files". I left them as sub-folders a level higher up in the "Program Files".

• Like 2

I do the same as abacab, except my folder is named VST 2 and in C\:Program Files\VST 2. I find this helps me remember what I installed where. When I install legacy stuff from Sonar, I let it put it in it's default vst folder. 

I haven't used 32bit plugins in a long while. And I still have vst folders in C:\Programs File (x86), but they are put there by installation programs that insist on installing there without the option of not to. But I don't have CbB scan those folders anyway. 

I forgot to mention that Cakewalk itself (at least on my system) has a sub-folder for VST2 plugins. "C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\VstPlugins". I left the Cakewalk products there, rather than risk moving them. All of the Cakewalk VST2 live here, everything from Sonar  to CbB.

Occasionally a 3rd party will drop a VST2 here, but I will move that to the main VST2 folder.

As far as Cakewalk VST3, they all go into the general "C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3" folder.

Edited by abacab

I'd be inclined (as I have) to put the x86 VST folder in the root of the C drive to avoid badly behaved/written VSTs falling foul of UAT and refusing to work.

EDIT: UAC not UAT.

Edited by Kevin Perry
  • Like 2

On 2/17/2020 at 5:58 PM, Kevin Perry said:

I'd be inclined (as I have) to put the x86 VST folder in the root of the C drive to avoid badly behaved/written VSTs falling foul of UAT and refusing to work.

that's exactly what i do - c:\vst64 (and a c:\vst32 for those that don't let you not install the 32bit version)

So......

I've got all my Splat installs ready to go from the CCC.  No problem there

I do not have X2 in CCC, but I *do* have the original installer .exe

I only need X2 for a handful of plugins + V-Vocal

Is it necessary to install the updates to X2 (was it X2A?) or will the base installation suffice

I do not intend to use X2 for any project related work

Thanks

On 2/18/2020 at 1:56 PM, Kevin Perry said:

I meant UAC of course not UAT...too much project work in real life!

If you don't mind, might be good to edit the original post to correct that. I found myself googling for 5 minutes before I gave up😉

Might help others avoid that rabbit hole. Thx

• 3 months later...

Ok, so if I am getting this right, you do not have to go back any further than X2a to start installing on Win 10.  Correct.  And, of course, it will install on Win 10 or is there a special way to go about it??   By the way Scook, thank you for directing me over here.       Don't know why I didn't find this thread.  I certainly searched.  Oh well .  thank you.  Trying to get all my ducks in order before the end of the week and the unit arrives.  thank you all.