How To Switch USB Devices?

DallasSteve

Question

I have Cakewalk by BandLab running on my computer.  I have a limited number of USB ports and sometimes I need to switch out my MIDI keyboard controller for my USB microphone.  When I unplug one of them from the USB jack Cakewalk displays a Yes/No dialog box that says:

"The above Audio/MIDI device was disconnected from your system.  Would You like Cakewalk to reroute these outputs to an available device?"

I don't know whether to click Yes or No.  Also, when I start Cakewalk now it usually detects that one or the other is missing and it displays another dialog asking:

"Disable or Use Anyway"

I haven't got a clue.  (Sounds like a good title for a song.)  LOL.  Usually I have to re-run the Audio Wave Profiler to get things working after I have re-connected a USB device.  Sometimes I have to shut down Cakewalk and re-start it.  Is there a more efficient way to do this USB Dance?

Thanks, Steve

Edited by DallasSteve

5 answers to this question

I interpret the reroute question as, "One of your listed midi output devices is gone.  Should the software take any channels with device B as the output and send it  to device A?"  I always choose "no."  If I have device B set, I want it to stay at device B.

For the USB changes, that is likely related to messages CbL is getting from your OS (referencing a Windows OS here).  The shut-down restart works because the OS detects (or removes) the hub.  Have you considered purchasing an external USB hub?  The devices could remain plugged in and registered.

aether.roots

Thanks for the reply.  I can buy a USB hub, if that's the preferred solution.  Can my computer handle multiple devices connected through a hub like that?  How do I know if I need the Type-C, Type-A, 3.0, etc.?  It gets confusing.  I saw this on Amazon as a cheap solution:

https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-4-Port-Individual-Switches-HB-UM43/dp/B00JX1ZS5O/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1548613720&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=usb+hub&psc=1

Probably most devices will work when connected to a USB hub, but some audio interfaces have had problems. The type of hub you need depends on the type of socket you have on your computer, and the version of USB that the socket supports. If you have USB 2 on your computer, then you will only get USB 2 performance through any hub, so there is no point (an potentially additional problems) using anything else. Most hubs will have type A sockets to which you can connect your devices, and there are adapters available so that you can bridge other types of plugs to the type A socket.

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/understanding-usb-cable-types-one-use/

I would plug hard drives and audio interfaces directly into the computer.  A hub should work fine for low speed data devices like keyboards, mice, and MIDI controllers.

I would select the same port types that your existing  USB devices have.