Why does Windows Defender FIrewall block "some features" of BandLab Assistant?

PopStarWannabe

I've done a clean install of Cakewalk on a clean install of Windows 10.

After I downloaded and ran BandLab Assistant a Windows Defender window popped up saying "Windows Defender Firewall has just blocked some features of this app".

I had to click Allow, to allow it to comunicate on either Private or Public Network or both. Otherwise it wouldn't run further. I've chosen Private Network.

This is dodgy. Why has it happened?

Firewalls find their greatest utility in blocking applications from initiating a connection with the internet. So an application that calls home, like an installer or updater, could just as well be a piece of malware delivering data or requesting installation of additional malware from a server on the internet. If you tell the firewall that a blocked application is trusted, as you did, it should remember. Usually you just have to whitelist a trusted application once, but different versions can look different to the firewall. Of course when you clean install Windows, you are starting with a naive firewall that does not know which of your applications should be trusted.

2 hours ago, PopStarWannabe said:

I understand, but I've run installers from other companies and none trigerred the firewall.

Since other companies did it, why hasn't Band Lab too written their Assistant code in an unsuspecting manner ?

bandlab sends and recieves a bunch of stuff via the interenet - most installers don't need internet, although the recent trend is to use internet, and bandlab is an "online company"

windows firewall works on a "white list" basis, meaning you need to add ("white list") a new app to the firewall rules, you should only need to do this once

/hth

• 1 year later...

My original version of Bandlab Assistant was downloaded last year when I downloaded Cakewalk by Bandlab. Several weeks ago, the Assistant just disappeared. I've tried to download the latest version on my Windows 10 PC, but it blocks the download, saying "MIGHT BE HARMFUL TO YOUR COMPUTER" I tried turning off the firewall, with no luck.  My Cakewalk by Bandlab program still operates fine. I am no computer genius, but I can't understand why this is such a hassle? 

On 7/1/2021 at 11:46 AM, Moose Evans said:

I've tried to download the latest version on my Windows 10 PC, but it blocks the download, saying "MIGHT BE HARMFUL TO YOUR COMPUTER" I tried turning off the firewall, with no luck.  

Is it blocked per Windows? 

[image of Properties box with the Unblock check box removed; I need the attachment space]

Edited by User 905133