recording and driver problems

vst power user

I am using an EVGA NU audio card with the new update and am not able to get the recorded signal to register after the recording is stopped now.  The audio converts to a blank wave display with random blip audio spikes.  Sometimes the recording will only play a weird static sound at the beginning of the recorded audio and after becomes silent.  All of the windows drivers(MME, WASAPI, WDM/KS) have this problem behavior, but the ASIO driver is the only driver free of problems now.  Also there has been a problem with  Sonar detecting my output for speaker option of the SPDIF digital and the analog speaker choices in all of the Windows drivers.  And only the ASIO driver is providing me with all the options for output.   My thirty-two bit version of Sonar Producer has been working better than the sixty-four bit versions of Sonar and new Cakewalk.  There are other problems(mainly with VST effects and instruments) with Cakewalk but I will place them in the forum as appropriately possible.

In forward, thank you for being active,

Charles K.

• 4 weeks later...

I was able to partially resolve the audio driver issue by using the configuration file settings of "ks use input event".  By changing the setting from "false" to "true" in order to use most of the windows drivers.  I am still unable to get the cakewalk product to summon WASAPI's output for my EVGA NU audio card labeled "speaker".

• 1 month later...

Yeah, thanks. The audio is seems limited to 24 bit as it is greyed and unchangeable in the audio driver section.  Hopefully this can be changeable in a future update if this is not my card restricting the bit rate.... That's the only problem I get with my ASIO.  Maybe I have a WASAPI driver problem with my audio card....

Does anybody get a restricted bit rate during ASIO mode too??

Edited by vst power user

5 hours ago, vst power user said:

The audio is seems limited to 24 bit as it is greyed and unchangeable in the audio driver section.

Most ASIO drivers operate a single bit depth. Usually 24 bit because that is more than enough for the interface. This is up to the hardware manufacturers.

The record bit depth is set elsewhere in preferences

In short, if a manufacturer supplies an ASIO driver use it unless it is defective.

23 hours ago, vst power user said:

Yeah, thanks. The audio is seems limited to 24 bit as it is greyed and unchangeable in the audio driver section.  Hopefully this can be changeable in a future update if this is not my card restricting the bit rate.... That's the only problem I get with my ASIO.  Maybe I have a WASAPI driver problem with my audio card....

Does anybody get a restricted bit rate during ASIO mode too??

AFAIK there are no interfaces that can record higher than 24 bits. Has this changed?

42 minutes ago, Kalle Rantaaho said:

AFAIK there are no interfaces that can record higher than 24 bits. Has this changed?

Not that I know of... and in fact many interfaces only really sample at 20 bit due to the limitations of A/D conversion.

24 bit gives you a massive dynamic range for recording. I cannot think of any reason why anyone would need higher.

BTW - the sampling bit width shouldn't be confused with the bit width used in when storing wav files or processing (e.g. 32 bit vs 64 bit). A larger processing bit width is used during processing to reduce rounding/truncation errors.

3 hours ago, msmcleod said:
4 hours ago, Kalle Rantaaho said:

Not that I know of... and in fact many interfaces only really sample at 20 bit due to the limitations of A/D conversion.

IIRC some drivers send 32 bit data to the DAW not because of the hardware but the extra processing done by software that comes with the interface. Still they are the exception. An ASIO driver sending 24 bit data is just fine.

36 minutes ago, scook said:

IIRC some drivers send 32 bit data to the DAW not because of the hardware but the extra processing done by software that comes with the interface. Still they are the exception. An ASIO driver sending 24 bit data is just fine.

Actually my old Yamaha DS2416 cards are like that. It sends 32 bit data to the DAW... but the A/D converters are only 20 bit resolution.