How to install Cakewalk onto Classroom computers?

MusicTech_is_Awesome

Question

HI

I am intending to get students to use Cakewalk as an extension of Bandlab in their music compositions but somehow the installations are based on per account, ie only the administrators can see the software after installation. We need Cakewalk to use for computers without internet connections. I hope there is a solution to this.

13 answers to this question

4 hours ago, MusicTech_is_Awesome said:

HI

I am intending to get students to use Cakewalk as an extension of Bandlab in their music compositions but somehow the installations are based on per account, ie only the administrators can see the software after installation. We need Cakewalk to use for computers without internet connections. I hope there is a solution to this.

The only solution is creating a local WiFi hotspot for the computers. There's no way around needing internet for install.

You don't need it for Cakewalk to keep working, but for the initial install you need internet. 

Thanks for the reply. We are intending to use Cakewalk for the computers without internet connection but when the administrator installed under the administrator account, users when they log onto the computers, cannot see the software. Is there a way around it? As these are school computers, students and user accounts cannot install software.

I really hope there's a solution to this.

Your best bet is contacting support@cakewalk.com

12 hours ago, Davydh said:

You don't need it for Cakewalk to keep working, but for the initial install you need internet. 

This is not accurate. Activation requires internet access. Activation must be renewed at least every six months. Most users do not get re-activation notices because of the software update frequency.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scook said:

Your best bet is contacting support@cakewalk.com

This is not accurate. Activation requires internet access. Activation must be renewed at least every six months. Most users do not get re-activation notices because of the software update frequency.

scook,

I thought "Refresh Activation" selection was added to the Bandlab Assistant so the existing installation can maintain active without having to access the internet and check in.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Davydh said:

@scook,

I did not know Cakewalk requires reactivation at least every six months. I thought it only required that for new updates... But thanks for the correction!

Once installed, it has 6 months run time. When people "update", this period is reset. It is possible "re-activate" without update, but that is only true for Cakewalk itself.

Bandlab Assistant has to be updated to "re-activate" Cakewalk. At no time this process was painless for me, automatic update of assistant was producing errors. Update Cakewalk from assistant also....

I mean in a class environment it is not a matter of seconds to "re-activate" using some low band connection (f.e. mobile). It will be quite some work.

14 hours ago, MusicTech_is_Awesome said:

when the administrator installed under the administrator account, users when they log onto the computers, cannot see the software. Is there a way around it?

if the installer doesn't allow "install for all users" for start menu/icons, maybe they can browse directly to the exe? (or the admin create an icon under the "....\Users\All Users" hive?) - but still, it might not work

good luck

2 hours ago, azslow3 said:
4 hours ago, Davydh said:

@scook,

I did not know Cakewalk requires reactivation at least every six months. I thought it only required that for new updates... But thanks for the correction!

Once installed, it has 6 months run time. When people "update", this period is reset. It is possible "re-activate" without update, but that is only true for Cakewalk itself.

Bandlab Assistant has to be updated to "re-activate" Cakewalk. At no time this process was painless for me, automatic update of assistant was producing errors. Update Cakewalk from assistant also....

I mean in a class environment it is not a matter of seconds to "re-activate" using some low band connection (f.e. mobile). It will be quite some work.

Yeah, I am no stranger to the environment described by the OP albeit not with DAW software. This is why I suggest contacting support.

• Like 1

I am an IT Tech in a school our Music Dept would like to use Cakewalk, it s a cakewalk to install, but after installation it doesn't work correctly as it wants to save everything to the Local Drive which most schools do not allow students to do. So is there an admin way of installing so the program can be used by all students who log in. Remembering they have to save to a network share and not the the desktop PC local drive.

Did anyone actually solve this issue, as it seemed to get side tracked on activation rather than installation.

Thank you

3 hours ago, Brian Blundell said:

is there an admin way of installing so the program can be used by all students who log in. Remembering they have to save to a network share and not the the desktop PC local drive.

It may be kind of arcane these days, but would mapping the users' home directories (on the server) to a drive letter help solve the problem?

For instance, if, when logging on to a system, the user had an "H:" drive that was really their network share. That way you could set up the Cakewalk project/template/etc. folders to all be on the H: drive.

Are there other per-user files that Cakewalk needs to install on the C: drive? The only hard-coded folder I know of that must be on the C: drive is Cakewalk Content\Cakewalk Themes, and that can be for all users.

And add me to the list of people who would like Cakewalk to become more network aware.

• Great Idea 1