wmcmanus

Question

I'm currently running CbB on Windows 10 (i7-8700K @ 3.7GHz and 16GB RAM) through a Behringer U-phoria UMC 404HD, but would like to upgrade. I'm considering two possibilities, if I can determine if either are worth it:

1) Mackie MCU Pro and RME Fireface UFX II

2) Mackie ProFX22 v3 mixer with a built-in audio interface.

The first option is about 5 times more expensive than the second, but how do they compare in workflow and output quality?

Does anyone have first hand knowledge about how well the Mackie ProFX mixing console works with CbB?

Giving due consideration to cost, I'm by no means wealthy, does anyone have an opinion on which is the better option?

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Cakewalk by BandLab | Windows 10 | Intel i7-8700K @ 3.7GHz | 16GB RAM | Behringer U-phoria UMC 404HD | Universal Audio OxBox | Line6 POD HD500X | Roland Juno-DS 88

6 answers to this question

The Mackie ProFX is limited to 2 inputs/ 4 outputs at the Cakewalk side, and there's no remote control of Cakewalk via it's faders - it's literally an analog mixer with its stereo out routed to USB.

The RME Fireface UFX II on the other hand, is (in my opinion anyhow) one of the best (if not the best) audio interface on the market, and the Mackie MCU is the most comprehensive DAW controller for Cakewalk available.

The two options you've given are pretty much the extremes of the home-studio market here... there are plenty of other options in between, e.g.:

If you want an analog mixer, I'd take a look at the Tascam Model 12, 16 or 24 :  You get a full analog mixer, plus multiple audio channels (e.g. the Model 24 is 24 in/24 out over USB 2.0) - but no DAW control. 

If you don't need the 30 inputs/outputs of the UFX II, take a look at the Focusrite, Tascam, MOTU range of interfaces which range from 2 in/out to 20 in/18 out.

There's no doubt the MCU Pro is the most comprehensive controller, however there are other options:

Non-motorized faders:  Look at the Korg nanoKONTROL Studio
Motorized faders:
- Presonus FaderPort 8/16 (the 16 has almost the same physical footprint as the MCU Pro, but with twice the number of faders)
- Behringer X-Touch

• Like 1

I have a Mackie Pro FX 12 and it is good for summing and that's about it. It uses a generic driver (Asio4All) and only has a stereo output through USB. Good for Stereo mixes in my opinion, not much else.

I use a Focusrite 18I8 that i use and a Mackie control/Control surface (the older model) which can be bought used for around 200 bucks USA $.

IMO this is the way to go. Get a good interface (if your only recording yourself or up to 4 tracks at a time) and an MCU unit to control faders, knobs, exc.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chuckebaby said:

I have a Mackie Pro FX 12 and it is good for summing and that's about it. It uses a generic driver (Asio4All) and only has a stereo output through USB. Good for Stereo mixes in my opinion, not much else.

I use a Focusrite 18I8 that i use and a Mackie control/Control surface (the older model) which can be bought used for around 200 bucks USA $.

IMO this is the way to go. Get a good interface (if your only recording yourself or up to 4 tracks at a time) and an MCU unit to control faders, knobs, exc.

Yup, I pretty much did the same.

My main interface is a 1st gen Focusrite 18i20, which I bought new, but I've got the older Mackie MCU + XT + C4. 

Apart from the looks, the only difference between the old MCU and the MCU Pro is:

• The older MCU uses P&G Faders powered by string (really - it's like a fishing rod mechanism inside); the MCU Pro uses belt driven Alps faders.
  • The older MCU requires a MIDI interface, whereas the MCU pro has a USB MIDI interface with 2 x extra ports to for expanders (e.g. 2 x XT's or XT + C4 )

It's worth mentioning that if you do go for the older MCU, the cheap USB "cable" MIDI interfaces will not work. You'll need a decent branded interface such as M-Audio or MidiFace.

Oh, and if you see spare faders for them buy them - they're easy to replace, but very hard to come by nowadays.

Finally, be aware that the MCU / MCU Pro are large units - they WILL take up a lot of desk space. If this is a concern, take a look at the FaderPort or the X-Touch.

• Like 1

Thank you msmcleod and chuckebaby, your answers = a wealth of information! I really appreciate your knowledge and experience, which has enabled me to cut through the 1000's of bits of incomplete information found online, in order to avoid costly mistakes in my endeavor to take up home recording in a serious manner. Indeed you've given me some practical insight from which to begin.

Definitely leaning toward the Presonus 192 and FaderPort, but I have one last question for you, your thoughts on the Presonus StudioLive Series III.  I know it functions as a control surface for Studio One, ProTools, and Logic, but do you have any idea how it might work with CbB?

Thanks again guys, you've been a huge help!

6 hours ago, wmcmanus said:

Definitely leaning toward the Presonus 192 and FaderPort, but I have one last question for you, your thoughts on the Presonus StudioLive Series III.  I know it functions as a control surface for Studio One, ProTools, and Logic, but do you have any idea how it might work with CbB?

Probably not, according to the Presonus website:

https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/articles/210046773-Can-I-use-my-StudioLive-as-a-control-surface-

Although, as you say, they've added Logic & ProTools support.

I suggest contacting PreSonus and asking them whether it supports a Mackie DAW mode.

• Like 1